Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge thin mash question  (Read 3444 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Batch Sparge thin mash question
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »
Dealing with something I haven't come upon yet in Brewing.
I usually batch Sparge with a pre-boil volume of about 8 gallons trying to get about 4 gallons first and second runnings per Denny's advice. The recipe I'm doing tomorrow for my wife calls for 2 pounds of honey in the last five minutes. Therefore I only have about 5.9 pounds of grain for the mash. If I do my typical equal half and half first and second runnings, it seems like the mass will be extremely thin. Is that okay or does it do something funky to the pH? I'm thinking my strike water volume should be way less?
Any advice would help, thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Batch Sparge thin mash question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »
I would no sparge and estimate my grain bill at about 65% brew house efficiency

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »
I would no sparge and estimate my grain bill at about 65% brew house efficiency

THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »
Crap, all the grain is measured and bought and I don't have time to buy more for a decreased efficiency. Any other suggestions?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:39 pm »
Crap, all the grain is measured and bought and I don't have time to buy more for a decreased efficiency. Any other suggestions?

Forget the 1/2 and 1/2 thing...it doesn't make all that much difference.  Mash with 1.25 qt./lb., sparge with whatever it takes to hit your boil volume.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »
Cool, sounds like a plan. Thanks Danny, figured you would have a good idea.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:23 pm »
If you're using a cooler mash tun it seems like it will be pretty important to preheat it. Thats less than 2 gallons of mash water... might be a challenge to keep the temp up

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »
Good point, I always preheat, but maybe I'll also start a little higher temp too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
Do you keep a little light DME around? Might come in handy for adjusting preboil gravity. If you have some you might do a no sparge and bump it a bit with DME to account for low efficiency. I'm guessing it would take maybe 10-12 ounces.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 06:01:44 pm »
Does using large sparge volumes only extract tannins if fly sparging?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:28:47 pm »
Mmmm yes and no. Its a pH issue. If you are keeping your pH in the neighborhood of 5.4 then you'll be fine. If you are not controlling pH then a big gob of 7+ water on a little bit of grain with little buffering... you could extract tannins. Fly or batch.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 09:06:43 am »
Just figure it via the qt/# as denny stated. You can then correct any gravity issues with extra honey or by reducing the sparge water you'll be adding to make up the rest of the volume.

IMO you'd be fine with the thin mash. I mash upwards if 2qt per sometimes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 12:31:52 pm »
I was thinking about doing the mash small volume like I'm doing my normal 50/50 1st and 2nd runnings, then just adding extra water in the kettle to make my preboil volume .

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:51 pm »
Then you will take a big hit in efficiency. better to do no sparge or two sparge steps.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »
Just figure it via the qt/# as denny stated. You can then correct any gravity issues with extra honey or by reducing the sparge water you'll be adding to make up the rest of the volume.

IMO you'd be fine with the thin mash. I mash upwards if 2qt per sometimes.

I no-sparge using my full volume in the mash. I am over 4 qt/lb on some session beers. It's not until you start getting close to 4 qt/lb where you might see your efficiency start to dip. The 2-3 qt/lb range will work perfectly well for a mash thickness. I'd wager to say you may even see a bit of an efficiency boost. Don't be afraid of a thin mash.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer