Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finished my first brew day .... Am I in trouble?  (Read 8430 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Finished my first brew day .... Am I in trouble?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:29 am »
Okay so my next dumb question is:

What's the pros/cons of a full boil over a partial boil?  I've only done one extract boil and it was a partial (which assume means not boiling the full 5 gal).

I figured I could still do a partial boil outside as well, is that not the case?

You can certainly do that.  When I started AG I only had a 7 gal. pot so I could only do partial boils.  It reduces your efficiency a bit since you can't sparge as much as you otherwise would, but other than that it works great.  Eventually  I picked up a larger kettle and relegated the 7 gal. to heating mash/sparge water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 08:50:37 am »

What's the pros/cons of a full boil over a partial boil?  I've only done one extract boil and it was a partial (which assume means not boiling the full 5 gal).

I figured I could still do a partial boil outside as well, is that not the case?

Full boils have a lot of pros/cons, below are a couple

Pros:
less darkening of the wort
use less hops due to the gravity of the wort not being as concentrated
easy to do indoors

Cons:
longer heating time
longer chilling time
need of larger equipment

Wanted to give everyone an update.  I bottled my first batch and everything went fairly smooth except I dropped and shattered my hydrometer!  Hopefully I was able to rack to the bottling bucket and into the bottles with minimal oxygen as there was some bubbling in the transfer, due to air pockets in the hose.

It made pretty much exactly 2 cases(48 bottles).  I bottled one extra by tilting the bottling bucket, but I wanted to experience one that may have more trub than the others.  This way I know what to look for.  Hopefully it'll be ready for our Labor Day party, although that might be a little sooner than id like for bottle conditioning.

I think everyone has broken at least one hydrometer in their day. invest in a refractometer, less chance of breaking. Also if you can get the bottles somewhere dark and 70-75 degrees F they will carbonate faster than if stored in the 60's

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:07 am »

I look at it like the difference between the canned soup you add water to vs the stuff that's ready to go.

Though I've tasted some great beers that I would have never guessed were partial boil kits. So... its not a bright line guaranteed instant improvement

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:32 am »

I look at it like the difference between the canned soup you add water to vs the stuff that's ready to go.

Though I've tasted some great beers that I would have never guessed were partial boil kits. So... its not a bright line guaranteed instant improvement

Thats a great example.

Offline Keith G

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »

Full boils have a lot of pros/cons, below are a couple

Pros:
less darkening of the wort
use less hops due to the gravity of the wort not being as concentrated
easy to do indoors

Cons:
longer heating time
longer chilling time
need of larger equipment

Wanted to give everyone an update.  I bottled my first batch and everything went fairly smooth except I dropped and shattered my hydrometer!  Hopefully I was able to rack to the bottling bucket and into the bottles with minimal oxygen as there was some bubbling in the transfer, due to air pockets in the hose.

It made pretty much exactly 2 cases(48 bottles).  I bottled one extra by tilting the bottling bucket, but I wanted to experience one that may have more trub than the others.  This way I know what to look for.  Hopefully it'll be ready for our Labor Day party, although that might be a little sooner than id like for bottle conditioning.

I think everyone has broken at least one hydrometer in their day. invest in a refractometer, less chance of breaking. Also if you can get the bottles somewhere dark and 70-75 degrees F they will carbonate faster than if stored in the 60's

My storage area for fermentation showed around 70-74F on the fermometer.  This was even after all the yeast activity was done.  I'm going to install a wireless thermometer for ambient air temp.  Thanks for the advice.

Since I have a 10 gal tallboy kettle, doing a full boil isn't a big deal.  The only hurdle is finding a way to cool the wort.  I had trouble with the partial boil cooling in an ice bath quick enough.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
I think everyone has broken at least one hydrometer in their day. invest in a refractometer, less chance of breaking.

SO many... This is one purchase my wife actually approved of :)  At my breakage rate the payback was a no brainer.  The ones with little pellets in them SUCK to clean up, too.