Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA dry hop survey  (Read 11817 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
IPA dry hop survey
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:07 am »
I've read much about this subject and experimented, but thought it would be nice to get some concise data from all you experts.

For dry hopping your IPA:

1. How much?  (Oz/gal)

2.  At what temp?

3.  How long?

4.  Where?  (Primary, secondary, keg)

5.  Do you whirlpool?

6.  How much aroma and are you happy with amount of added aroma and taste?

Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: IPA dry hop survey
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:14 am »
What I typically do:
1) Varies depending on hop for me.  I guess I start at about 0.5oz per gallon and range up to 2oz per gallon depending on the how pungent the aroma of the hops I am using is and how much of a punch I want the beer to have.
2) 60-68F.
3) 3-4 days usually in multiple stages each 3-4 days.
4) Secondary or Keg.
5) Usually.
6) Hard to answer... I guess as much aroma as needed or I dry hop more...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
couple ounces at a time in 3 gallons usually.  4 days, +/-1 day, temp in the upper 60's.  most often dry-hop twice, sometimes once, occasionally 3 times.  Occasionally pitch some with the yeast, otherwise all done in the keg.
don't generally whirlpool.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16:25 am »
.5 oz/gallon (APA),  .8 - 1.2 oz/gallon (AIPA), 2+ oz/gallon (IIPA).  65-68F for 7 days for the first 2 styles, 2 rounds of dry hops @ 5days each for IIPA. I dry hop in the keg and don't whirlpool per se (don't have a pump), but I hop stand while stirring periodically.
Jon H.

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:24 am »
68-70 then crash when done. 5-7 days, .75-1.5 oz/gal. Sometime all at once other times in multiple additions. I usually just throw in the fermenter or will add to keg. I do whirlpool.
Macon, GA

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:12:36 pm »
1. Lately for an IPA, I use 4 to 5 oz per 5 gallon batch.

2. 68ish

3. 7-10 days

4. Secondary - Sometimes I'll add a couple more oz in the keg

5. I don't whirlpool. I don't have a pump and am too lazy to stir for more than 30 seconds at a time. That or ADD kicks in. Is that a bird? But I do add equal amounts if 0 minute hops as dry hop. So for an IPA, I'll add 4-5 oz at 0 minute and allow for a 30 minute hopstand before completely chilling.

6. Hoppy - yes, I am happy. This might sound silly, but the only thing I really like about double IPAs is the amount of hops. I'm not a fan of the heavier alcohol content and malt. So, I like to add more hops to an IPA with 1.065 OG. I like to use a combo of four flavor/aroma hops and use them equal proportions depending on hops at first wort, 10 min, 0 min and dry hop. I always bitter IPAs with Columbus. I feel it adds a funky/dank bitterness.
For example:
FWH - 1/2 oz each Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo
60 min - 2 oz Columbus
10 min - 1 oz each Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo
0 min - 1 oz each Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo
Dry Hop - 1 oz each Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo
If I would add to keg it would be 1/2 oz each.

I've been using this schedule with various hops for my last 5 or so IPAs and have been digging the results.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:29 pm »
I've read much about this subject and experimented, but thought it would be nice to get some concise data from all you experts.

1. How much?  (Oz/gal)

2.  At what temp?

3.  How long?

4.  Where?  (Primary, secondary, keg)

5.  Do you whirlpool?

6.  How much aroma and are you happy with amount of added aroma and taste?

Thanks

1) about 1.5 oz/gallon
2) Fermentation temp (mid 60's)
3) about a week
4) Primary, about 7-10 days after pitching, while the yeast is still actively fermenting
5) Does a bear crap in the woods?  ;D
6) Massive aroma, and I am quite happy with my IPA's

I will say that my IPA's are really over-the-top with hop flavor and aroma. I won't even pretend that they're balanced, it's really like drinking hop juice. If I were trying to be a more sane IPA, then I'd actually use more dry hops (like 2 oz/gallon). That's because I use so much hops in my hop stand right now (~3.5 oz/gallon) that I get more than enough aroma there. If I backed off on my flameout/hopstand hops I'd probably increase the dry hops to compensate.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 10:36:38 am »
Man, some of you all use a bunch of hops for dry hopping. I'm at a fraction of that for 5 gallons and seem to get good results with the usual suspects (centennial, amarillo, simcoe, citra, cascade, columbus, etc).

For dry hopping my IPA:

1. How much? 0.4-0.5 oz/gal (2-2.5 oz/5gal)

2.  At what temp? A chilly 38F.

3.  How long? Until the keg kicks (2-3 weeks ±1 week)

4.  Where?  Keg

5.  Do you whirlpool? No whirlpool setup, but I do hopstand/steep at 175-170F for 45-60min on IPAs.

6.  How much aroma and are you happy with amount of added aroma and taste? Definitely. If I wasn't then I'd use more :D

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 01:54:49 pm »
For the people who whirlpool the dry hops, how are you doing it?  I use the low tech whirlpool by twisting the bucket once or twice a day.  Are you using a pump and two spigots?

I dry hop in a bucket and just toss the pellets in there.  After a couple of days the hops form a cake on top and some of the hops aren't in the beer.  It makes me feel like I'm underutilizing some of the hops.  This is one of the reasons I twist the bucket.  Anyone notice a difference in intensity between using bags and not using them for a dry hop?

When you dry hop in stages, are you removing the first round of hops?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »
For the people who whirlpool the dry hops, how are you doing it?  I use the low tech whirlpool by twisting the bucket once or twice a day.  Are you using a pump and two spigots?

I dry hop in a bucket and just toss the pellets in there.  After a couple of days the hops form a cake on top and some of the hops aren't in the beer.  It makes me feel like I'm underutilizing some of the hops.  This is one of the reasons I twist the bucket.  Anyone notice a difference in intensity between using bags and not using them for a dry hop?

When you dry hop in stages, are you removing the first round of hops?

The whirlpool is done in the boil kettle post-boil. You certainly don't want to be shooting a pump through a fermenter. This would introduce an uber amount of O2 to your beer.

I don't use hop bags for two reasons. 1- the fine mesh bags will hold water in them. If they're holding water, they gotta be holding hop goodness in my opinion. 2- I use carboys. Pulling a bag full of 4+ ounces of spent hops out of a carboy is a PITA.

I'll rock the carboy back and forth gently a couple of times to help drop the hops a bit. Just make sure you don't break the airlock when doing so or you'll allow O2 to enter your fermenter.
Frank

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »
Yes... For my whirlpool I have 2 ways of doing it depending on which chiller I happen to be using.

If using the immersion chiller I add my whirlpool hops after flameout and let them steep about 15 mins or so.  Then I chill down the wort.  Once done chilling I remove the immersion chiller and stir the wort in the kettle as fast as I can get it going.  I remove the spoon as quickly as possible straight up.  Then wait 15-20 mins for everything to settle and stop spinning.  My kettle has a pick up that comes right off the sidewall so I just drain directly into my fermenter at that point.

If using my plate chiller.  I have a 3 way ball valve on the out of my pump.  Off of one direction I have a hose going directly from the pump to a recirculation arm in the side of my kettle.  I'll run this for about 15 mins or so and then I shut off the pump and switch the valve to the other direction which goes to my plate chiller. I wait the same 15-20 mins as with the immersion chiller and then I run the hot wort through my plate chiller directly into my fermenter.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:19:16 pm »

The whirlpool is done in the boil kettle post-boil. You certainly don't want to be shooting a pump through a fermenter. This would introduce an uber amount of O2 to your beer.

I assumed the OP was referring to constant circulation of the dry hops and not a brew kettle whirlpool.  Circulating the dry hops was recently described as a method that increases hop aroma using the same amount of hops.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf

It's a long read.  The readers digest version is dry hopping with constant stirring for 4 days produces almost twice as much aroma as still dry hopping for 4 days.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »

1. How much?  (Oz/gal) - for a 5-6 gallon dry hop, I use 3-8oz of hops.  4oz. is pretty standard for me when I want some aroma.  I feel naughty when I use more than 6oz.

2.  At what temp? - hops are inserted post cold crash at 35F.  Free rise to 60F-68F.  Sometimes I use a heater for an extra 10F.  Cold crashed for 2 days to drop the hops.

3.  How long? - about a week.  5 days warm.  3 days cold.

4.  Where?  (Primary, secondary, keg) - secondary always.  I keep telling myself to buy a keg, but like to torture myself with bottling and wonder what my beer would be like if I kegged.

5.  Do you whirlpool? - In the kettle, not really.  I give it a 1 minute whirlpool stir at flame out. I can chill to 150F in less than 5 minutes most of the year.  I let gravity settle things for 45-90 minutes after that.  Standard kettle hops are steeped below isomerization temperature and extra hoppy beers get a hop addition at flame out.  I want to whirlpool the dry hops, but don't have a pump, mega stir plate or mechanized lazy susan, yet.

6.  How much aroma and are you happy with amount of added aroma and taste? - I get the most aroma with a 4-8oz aroma steep and a 4-8oz dry hop for a week.  I'm 80% satisfied with the intensity of the aroma.  I'm 94.7% satisfied with the taste 82.5% of the time.