Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1265 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Question
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »
Today I did my 90 Shilling Ale in traditional fashion. Pulling a gallon of the first runnings and boiling them down for 45 minutes. From there I tossed in my hops and took the rest of my first runnings. I then batch sparged and collected enough wort that I ended up with a little over 5 gallons of wort. Now here is what I am wondering about. I only used 9 pounds of Marris Otter. That was my entire grain bill. Yet I ended up with an OG of 1.058. Why? I know I concentrated that wort, but I then replaced all the water I boiled out of it. How does that work?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:01 pm »
I wonder if you got a reading where the wort wasn't mixed well. 9 lbs ought to be closer to 1045-ish, depending on your efficiency. I don't know when/how you take your readings. But I finally started taking a small sample at flameout when the wort is mixed thoroughly, cooling it in the freezer, and using my refractometer for it. I think it's more consistent. I used to take a sample after chilling to pitching temps, but you get temp stratification more easily then.
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:11 pm »
I expected around 1.050
I took the reading after I got the wort chilled to 65F. I stir vigorously during cooling to get it to cool faster so it was well mixed.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »
I think I have this figured out due to input on another forum. I extracted 1 gallon and did a 45 minute boil on it while the rest of the wort stayed in the mash. So it had an extra 45 minutes for conversion. Then I used more water in my sparge to make up for the water I boiled off of the first gallon which would have washed more sugars out of the grain than I normally do. I am really curious about how this beer is going to taste.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:18:05 pm »
yup, you got almost 90% efficiency. not out of the question. if your temps were solid you should be fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 06:03:51 am »
Yep, that explains it.
Jon H.