Author Topic: Cacao nibs and dogs  (Read 596 times)

Offline trapae

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Cacao nibs and dogs
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Got home last night from dinner and my dog was acting very strange, pacing, shaking, panting. Would not sit still or relax. She finally vomited several times and amongst her food, found little black things that turned out to be cacao nibs.  After going to the pantry and finding my bag of nibs gone, I put it together. She had jumped up to my brewing supplies, taken the bag outside, and feasted on the whole thing. Turns out chocolate toxicity in a dog is very real and nibs are the most potent. She is currently in the the vet hospital with IV fluids, charcoal flushes, and antiseizure medication. Looks like she's going to be fine, but just thought everyone should know to put their nibs on a high shelf.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

  • Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • *****
  • Posts: 13536
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »
Glad to hear your pup is OK.  I've been aware of chocolate toxicity for a long time, but it's good to warn people about it.  BTW, grapes are also toxic for dogs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline morticaixavier

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7311
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
and hops!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline majorvices

  • Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 7777
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
Got home last night from dinner and my dog was acting very strange, pacing, shaking, panting. Would not sit still or relax. She finally vomited several times and amongst her food, found little black things that turned out to be cacao nibs.  After going to the pantry and finding my bag of nibs gone, I put it together. She had jumped up to my brewing supplies, taken the bag outside, and feasted on the whole thing. Turns out chocolate toxicity in a dog is very real and nibs are the most potent. She is currently in the the vet hospital with IV fluids, charcoal flushes, and antiseizure medication. Looks like she's going to be fine, but just thought everyone should know to put their nibs on a high shelf.

Oh man! Glad she is going to be OK! Thanks for the reminder!

Another thing to be careful of is spent grain. Might be alright for cows. But dogs will get really sick if they eat it when it starts to rot.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline HoosierBrew

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 5813
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:33:19 PM »
I wish the best for your dog, Trapae. I'm a life long dog lover (understatement) and I know how heartbroken I'd be if something like that happened to one of my dogs. Sounds positive though.
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

  • Brewmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 859
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
I am really glad your dog is going to be OK. It is amazing the bond we have with our dogs and their little lives are too short as it is.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline erockrph

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3928
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »
Glad the prognosis for your pooch is good. I've spent many a night in the hospital with my kids (both fur and flesh) over the years, so I can certainly empathize.

While we're on the discussion of things that are toxic to pets, I just recently learned that hops are toxic to cats as well. I've always known about dogs, but I never knew that cats get very ill from them as well. Thankfully my cat has never gotten into them, but I will certainly make sure to keep them out of reach from here on in.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline trapae

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Thanks all for the support, she is home now and doing well. 
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dbarber

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
Glad to hear she's okay.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline thirsty

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Brewster, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Glad she's ok. I've heard that garlic and onions are also pretty bad for dogs.

Offline Steve in TX

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2890
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
I have read mixed info on hops and cats. I like to play it safe and keep the bastards, I mean fluffy bundles of mischief, away when I am packing and weighing hops.

Offline euge

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7559
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
Sorry to hear but also glad that the prognosis looks positive.

Last week I accidentally moved forward the dose of paxil that my SIL's little dog was supposed to get each morning. By the time I realized it... too late of course. Horrified I closely monitored dog and the poor thing slept most of the next day. Upon wakening the dog appeared rejuvenated and pretty chipper I must say. I thank my lucky stars.


The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Joe Sr.

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2866
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: Cacao nibs and dogs
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
I've seen a large dog die from eating chocolate.  It is not something to take lightly.

Similar situation, in that the upstairs neighbors dog raided the pantry when no one was home.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton