Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 gallon brew overflowing  (Read 1786 times)

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
2 gallon brew overflowing
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:55:55 am »
Hey Guys
I'm new to this so I've been doing 1 gallon brews to get the hang of it. Yesterday I did a 2 gallon Mosaic IPA with 3 lbs of dry malt extract and pitched the wort in a 2 gallon bucket. I looked at it this morning it is fermenting but it is venting so much that it is coming out the vent cap and the liquid I had in the vent is now the color of the wort, but is the same amount as yesterday. Is this anything I should worry about or just keep my eye on it because it pressure will eventually go down?
Bob

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2 gallon brew overflowing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:25:43 am »
The pressure will go down but maybe not before the cap or lid blows off, hook up a blow off tube.

Take a piece of tubing and connect it to the top and run it into a jug with star San mix.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:04:11 am »
thanks, had to pull up a picture to understand, but it is done. is this because of so much malt?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:50 am »

I did a 2 gallon Mosaic IPA with 3 lbs of dry malt extract and pitched the wort in a 2 gallon bucket.

Gotta go bigger with your fermenter size, or reduce the size of your batches. I'd shoot for a bucket or carboy ~ 30% bigger than your batch size, to contain the krausen foam from fermentation. Or else this will happen every time. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:43:16 am »
Welcome Bob.

The people on this forum can take you from brew-curious to expert. Tell us how you got started and what your current process is.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:00:05 am »
Keeping the temp of the fermentation on cooler side will also help keep the krausen under control. Probably the idea room temp for most American ales would be about 60 degrees. If you are fermenting in a room that is 70 degrees (which you probably are) then your fermentation is far too warm. Your yeast will throw unwanted off flavors and you will have lots of krausen.

I also agee with the "larger capacity" fermentor. You have to take in account of head space. A 5 gallon fermentation bucket or carboy needs to be closer to 6-7 gallons.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:48:17 am »

The people on this forum can take you from brew-curious to expert. Tell us how you got started and what your current process is.

Actually, I wasn't trying to take him to expert, Jim. But it doesn't matter if he brews extract, kits, or AG - 2 gallons of wort won't stay in a 2 gallon bucket ever, after he pitches.
Jon H.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:53:45 am »
Jim,
got started a few months ago to see if I could brew my own beer without screwing it up. This is my fifth or sixth batch, my first two gallon, all the rest have been one gallon. I decided on a 2 gallon because I feel that if I'm going to brew, I might as well brew more.
 have a local store that got me set up with the 1 gallon kit. I guess that I will have to visit him to see about a larger bucket for 2-3 gallon brews. Once I get real comfortable I want to try some heavy weights, an Imperial Stout would be nice.
In this area alone, we have had about 8 new breweries start up in the last 3 years. I still get beer from Aviator and Bombshell, but it is more exciting to brew my own IPA or Red Ale.
And thanks for the advice from everyone else; knowing at 6:30 in the morning there is someone out there who can answer a pressing question is great to know.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:26 am »
There's help here whenever you need it Bob. Don't hesitate to ask !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:42:11 am »
Welcome indeed. Everyone else has given you the answers to your current question but I want to second what major said. Keeping that ferm temp down is the number one key to making great beer. At the small scale you are working with you can easily keep it cool with a swamp cooler, put the fermenter in a shallow tub filled with about two inches of water. Cover the fermenter with a cotton towel or tee shirt so that the bottom of the cloth hangs down into the water. You might want to start it off by making the cloth wet. Point a fan or other draft at it and, as the saying goes, robert is your mother's brother. This can get you 5-10 degrees below ambient.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:05:40 am »
I do 2 to 2.5 gallon batches and used the 2 gallon buckets. I had to add a blow off every time. I love the 3 gallon better bottles. They are cheap, light and there is just something about being able to see that yeast 'snow storm' during active fermentation. You may find it easier to find a 3 gallon carboy than finding a 3 gallon food grade bucket. :D Welcome to the insanity and don't give up... the beers get better and better! :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:08:10 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam