Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Suggestions  (Read 2183 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Yeast Suggestions
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:38:03 am »
I am brewing version 2.0 of a Red Rye IPA.

19lbs Best Red X
5 lbs Rye Malt
2 lbs CaraRed (Weyermann)
for 10 gallons
Mash @ 150 for 75min

The QOD is should I use Wyeast 1056 or 1450?  Thoughts?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 09:49:16 am »
1450, obviously!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:05 am »
Denny, I know that 1450 is Denny's favorite, but what does it bring to the table differently? Does it require different temps? I just have not played around with much besides 001/1056/05, so I am trying to learn about new (for me) yeast and you would be perfect to explain this one to me. Sorry to highjack the thread, you can pm me if you would like or start a new thread to keep this one on track. Thanks
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
Denny, I know that 1450 is Denny's favorite, but what does it bring to the table differently? Does it require different temps? I just have not played around with much besides 001/1056/05, so I am trying to learn about new (for me) yeast and you would be perfect to explain this one to me. Sorry to highjack the thread, you can pm me if you would like or start a new thread to keep this one on track. Thanks

The biggest thing about 1450 is the smooth mouthfeel.  A perfect complement for rye beers.  Even if it finishes at the same gravity as 1056, it feels fuller bodied.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:45:33 am »
The biggest thing about 1450 is the smooth mouthfeel.  A perfect complement for rye beers.  Even if it finishes at the same gravity as 1056, it feels fuller bodied.
Denny, do you find that 1056 and 1450 actually do finish the same?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »
If you want to deviate from your two American yeast "options." A spicy belgian yeast might be a cool one to test out, especially if you do 10 gallons and split batches with 2 yeast strains. I would suggest 3522 Belgian Ardennes for a subtle spiciness and fruitiness, which I personally think might complement the rye well. I'd even suggest 3711 French Saison to give some nice spiciness and a smooth mouthfeel. I've used both with awesome success, yet never with rye. Never know until you try...maybe my next brew can be a Belgian RyePA.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »
Denny, do you find that 1056 and 1450 actually do finish the same?

Pretty darn close.

www.dennybrew.com