Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help for a authentic baltic porter.  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Need help for a authentic baltic porter.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »
You need to keep roast down. A lot of Authentic Baltic Porters are more brown then black. Dehusk Carafa Special can help you there.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 09:35:55 pm »
If you want authentic, your base malts should be mostly Munich/Vienna, with some Pilsner. Then add some darker crystal to give a bit of dark fruit character. Like Thirsty_Monk said, keep the roast down. Use lager yeast. My recipe is:
61% Munich
31% Pilsner
5% Special B
2% Chocolate
1% Carafa III
OG 1.088
40 IBUs of noble hops
California Steam yeast at 60°F
Mark Gres

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:59:47 am »
I make mine more like a high gravity schwarz bier but with a little chocolate malt. Big Munich malt flavors, keep the crystal malt low (but a little 40l Cara Munich is nice). Lager or very clean fermenting ale yeast - wy1007 is really nice.

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:25 am »
Sinebrychoff Porter clone
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3010-sinebrychoff-porter-clone

Thanks for the clone!! 

Have question about water now, I use strictly RO water would one need to add anything for this clone???

all grain? or Extract?

If extract no, RO is just fine. If all grain download bru'n water and input the recipe. I suspect you will need to a) reserve dark malts for the very end of the mash to avoid driving your pH too low or b) use some pickling lime or baking soda to manipulate your mash pH.

Additionally you will need at least some calcium.

All Grain.  Found the site thanks I might be back for some more help on this one.  Looks very over whelming.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:12:09 am »
Dark malts can be 100L different in color from on maltster to the next.

For a Baltic Porter I would go with German malt for base and some specialty, and English dark roast malts. I don't think you will get the same flavors from domestic base malts.

You might also consider some molasses in small quantities, or make your own invert III (recipes for boiling sugar to the right color are on the net).

Agreed on the malt selection - German Pils/Vienna/Munich and CaraMunich would be the most appropriate choices, along with English Chocolate and/or Black Malt. English pale and crystal malt have a distinct flavor that would really push the beer more towards a London Porter in style.

I like the molasses idea a lot. I might have to take a stab at a BP this fall. Thinking a relatively clean English Ale yeast, WLP013 maybe.

+1 to avoiding sulfured molasses. And I agree that Blackstrap gets harsh pretty easily.

+2 - I like the Blackstrap cut with Lyle's idea..

Guys thanks for the input and just to be clear, I will be asking more question in the near future.  I have a challenge going on with a very experienced home brewer, basically my mentor, and I told him im going to brew a better baltic porter.  I plan on using wyeast 2124 and harvest this from the Munich Helles Ill do before hand. 

I was leaning towards the MO by  Bairds and use a little vienna as the base.  From what you guys suggest use German base malts and use english specialty malts.  I have Best Maltz pils and vienna on hand would this be fine or should I seek out german 2 row? 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »
Best Malz is high-quality German Malt. I think you're good.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
2124 is great too. You still need more then 50% Munich malt. Preferably dark continental Munich about 10L.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com