Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Collecting Scores  (Read 3057 times)

Offline swanwick

• 1st Kit
AHA Collecting Scores
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:26:49 am »
Has the AHA ever thought about collecting the scores that brewers get in competitions when they provide their AHA number?  I recently joined and recently entered my first comps.  Don't see that anywhere.

Has anyone every tried to put together a brewer profile site that includes those scores from across competitions?

Does the information from the brewcomp.com sites go anywhere else like an AHA central database?

If answer is no, I am an IT Product Manager and willing to help out in this space.  If AHA powers-that-be read this, please let me know if I can help.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: AHA Collecting Scores
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:36 am »
That's what the BJCP is for, not the AHA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:17:07 am »
Since most of the Brewing Competition software is individually hosted by each competition, I would imagine aggregating all the data would be near impossible. When provided by competition organizers, the AHA does list overall BOS winners in Zymurgy.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »
Midwest Homebrewer of The Year circuit keeps a pretty cool website..... not necessarily individual scores of entries, but placing, etc.

http://midwesthomebrewer.com/Standings.aspx

Offline swanwick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:14:10 pm »

What site does the BJCP use to track homebrewers' competition results?  I'm not finding it with a google search.

Thx for the help,
Swan

Offline swanwick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »
Since most of the Brewing Competition software is individually hosted by each competition, I would imagine aggregating all the data would be near impossible. When provided by competition organizers, the AHA does list overall BOS winners in Zymurgy.

Agreed it is definitely challenging.  I would think that brewcomp software could be a big part of it or they could call an API to another entity (maybe the AHA) to at least get the results stored in a central database tied to AHA number.

It could even go lower tech with any comp able to upload their results from a spreadsheet as long as they had some minimal format like: AHA #, category, date, score.  optional: comp name, beer name, etc...

We could also give individual brewers the option to upload their own scores.  This seems to provide the opp for fudging, but perhaps our lot have such a "code" that it wouldn't be a problem.

Swan

Offline swanwick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:19:46 pm »
Midwest Homebrewer of The Year circuit keeps a pretty cool website..... not necessarily individual scores of entries, but placing, etc.

Excellent site.  Thx for the referral.

Contacted their published email to see why they stopped at just those states and didn't go all the way to the full US or even the full world.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »
It's an awful lot of work for, to me, limited value. I have difficulty seeing folks buying into the system as well.

Why would folks want their scores tracked? Why would you want to go - well see I won 3 medals, but I had these 3 beers get 19's. (must have been crappy judges!)

Then again, I'm not a competition guy so I'm way outside the target demo for this effort, but if you can make it happen and get buyin, then more power to you!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:07 am »
I don't think scores are a very good indication of the beer's worth.  I enter quite a few competitions and sometimes the same beer on almost the same day will have a 15 point difference in two competitions.  I had a best of show winner once that scored in the low 20's at the previous competition.

I don't think I want everybody to see that I got a score of anything less than 30.  It would hurt whatever reputation I've tried to establish.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:07:58 am »
It would hurt whatever reputation I've tried to establish.

Oh, you don't need to worry about that!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:45 am »

Excellent site.  Thx for the referral.

Contacted their published email to see why they stopped at just those states and didn't go all the way to the full US or even the full world.

Why they stopped at just those states? Ha. If you've attempted to run a circuit before, you would know that getting results reported from the comp organizers is sometimes an exercise in a near hilarious amount of futility. I don't wish it on anyone.

Not to mention the constant emails from brewers wondering why their total score is different than what they think it should be (without reading the circuit rules). It's not glamorous, being a circuit organizer.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 10:10:38 am »

What site does the BJCP use to track homebrewers' competition results?  I'm not finding it with a google search.

Thx for the help,
Swan
The BJCP does not track the results of competitions nor does it collect any scoring data. 

Brew Competition Online Entry & Management does have a filed to capture a participant's AHA number.  For non-NHC competitions it's an optional field in the event there is a Pro-Am associated with the competition. 

For the NHC version of the software the field is still there but it might be optional in the BCOE&M screen because AHA membership validation takes place in an earlier screen.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 10:35:51 am »
I bet most competitions only have paper copies of scores anyway, so getting them entered online anywhere would require convincing local staff to do a lot of data entry. BJCP is busy enough just getting organizers to enter judging points.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:08 pm »
I bet most competitions only have paper copies of scores anyway, so getting them entered online anywhere would require convincing local staff to do a lot of data entry. BJCP is busy enough just getting organizers to enter judging points.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Not if they are entered digitally from the start!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline swanwick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 07:49:41 am »
Not if they are entered digitally from the start!

That's what I'm thinking.  Wouldn't it be so much easier if you could look at the ID and/or beer name on the slip banded to the beer, select it from the list of beers in that category, and then fill in a form that adds up to a score. 

I can see that adding in comments will be harder in a digital environment, but we could allow for an audio comment that would make it even easier than writing it out longhand.

I entered my first comp and just got the scores back last week.  All I got was a single score for each beer.  Not helpful at all to improve my brewing.

Swan