Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the brewing community doing this weekend?!  (Read 4025 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's the brewing community doing this weekend?!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:36:12 pm »
I was going to brew this morning, but it was so nice I decided to go creek fishing.  I caught 5 trout, all 14-16 inches long....3 browns and 2 rainbows. 

Not bad for a morning of creek fishing. The dog appreciated that decision.

Beer related.....I have 5 gallons of dubbel and 5 gallons of tripel that I will probably keg tonight.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
Supply run, moving corn from greenhouse to garden, canning a couple cases of dme starter wort, working the holiday

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »
Working tomorrow, brewing a 10 gallon batch of something for fun during the day. The off for the weekend! Woot! First full 3 days off in ... seems like eternity.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:18 am »
I am watching a my sour mashed beer continue to ferment and opening some bottles of my favorite homebrews to celebrate my anniversary.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Nothing brewing this weekend. Working Sat/Sun. Hoping to get some time in the garden with my son on Monday.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 10:46:03 am »
Nothing brewing this weekend. Working Sat/Sun. Hoping to get some time in the garden with my son on Monday.

why is your son in the garden? is he  not allowed in the house?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:53 am »

It's just until he's nighttime potty-trained. Just a little incentive. Coyotes haven't bothered him much (yet).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 10:56:43 am »
Supply run, broke my hydrometer test jar. First gravity reading of my Big Brew Day Split Open and Melt RIS(3 weeks in primary Sunday.) Taste of Cincinnati, spring cleaning of basement garage to help organize and store all of my brewing equipment. Relax and enjoy some brews, maybe kayaking on Sunday, day on the lake here with friends on their new Axis boat(its beautiful!) Just a nice relaxing weekend for the holiday: my first Memorial day weekend out of the craziness of Restaurant Management work( so happy to be out after 28 years!) Have a great weekend everyone, and do something for the vets in your life!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 10:58:24 am »

It's just until he's nighttime potty-trained. Just a little incentive. Coyotes haven't bothered him much (yet).

As long as he's out there, may as well pull some weeds !          ;)
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 04:43:54 am »
Today (Saturday) I spent 14.5 hrs working on my 500 - 600 sq ft wine cellar (also beer cellar), and more time the past couple days.  I previously had insulated in the heating/AC ductwork in the basement cellar (radiating residual heat or cold passing through the ducts towards the cellar), thinking it would help warm the cellar in winter and cool it in summer.  It worked fair to support the passive cool in the summer, but I needed consistent temp and humidity, and in winter humidity dropped fast, and in summer the passive cooling temp sometimes fluctuated a few degrees between night and day.

Thursday evening I added a small cheap plywood inside wall section where previously there was only studs, pink insulation and biskween vapor barrier, and then I cut a pattern hole to fit the new self-contained, through-the-wall wine cellar cooling unit I recently purchased.

Friday morning an electrician came over and put in an electrical outlet in the wine cellar and ran the dedicated line to the electric panel.

Saturday i moved the pink insulation from behind all the ductwork, since the new idea is to push the heat or cool that passes through the ducts to the floor above, and NOT into the wine cellar.  For the cylindrical ductwork I just moved the pink insulation to in front of the ducts, and retaped the vapor barrier,  Next, I cut and placed rigid foam insulation to cover HVAC hubs, and also outside the main duct that runs through the cellar.  To hold the rigid insulation in place I concocted an idea that actually worked very well to attach it to the frame pieces.  That is, to insulate over the sides of the ductwork I drilled a top and a bottom hole in each of the lateral 1x2 pieces that hang down nailed into floor joists, and through which I put pieces of tie-off wire.  I poked the wire through the rigid insulation in 2 places per hole to the outside, and then twisted together the two wire ends to cinch the rigid insulation pieces snugly in place up to the ceiling and against the wood 1x2 frame pieces.  Then I clipped the wire ends and taped over the remaining wire twists so it wouldn't poke through vapor barrier when I added that.  Then I cut and taped on pieces of the rigid insulation to cover the bottom side under the duct.  This way I left some airspace in between the rigid insulation and the ducts, just as an additional safety against smoke or fire, although probzbly unnecessary.  Then I taped on vapor barrier over the framed in ductwork, and taped all the seams with heavy duty waterproof duct tape to lock in temp and humidity inside the cellar.

Then I installed the wine cellar cooling unit.  Long day, but it came out well enough for my needs.

I needed to get my bulk maturing wine back in there and cooled down again before it got too warm and expanded too much, causing problems. 

The top tape line is butt ugly - I was past tired by then, and it's a scrabble taping plastic to plastic on a non-flat surface at an angle.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:56:59 pm by brewsumore »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 05:18:19 am »
On our way to the Speedway, where I will see my 35th Indy 500.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 10:23:03 am »

Turn left!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »

Turn left!
A two time winner described the race as the green flag, 800 left tuns, followed by the checkered flag.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
I've seen around 20 Indy 500s, but didn't go today. It's a shame - the weather was perfect.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 07:33:22 am »
They're saying rain all day. Won't hurt the brew day as that is in the garage, but I might have trouble keeping a rain soaked smoker at 225-250.