General Category > Beer Travel

Any recommendations for Brussels/Bruges?

(1/4) > >>

guido:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Belgium this fall.  We've only gone to one travel agent so far,  and she was clueless.  Anyone have any recommendations for traveling to Brussels and Bruges, or know where we can find some pertinent info?

kylekohlmorgen:
"Around Brussels/Brugge in 80 Beers" - I bought the Brussels version before our trip and its perfect for traveling without a tour group.

My personal fav's:

- Cantillon: spend a whole afternoon in the cafe, drinking bottles you can't buy and eating Gueuze sausage.
 - Delirium Cafe upstairs: FRESH Dupont on tap is an eye-opening experience.

- Moeder Lambic: Belgian craft beer bar. Ridiculous stuff on draft (4 Cantillon casks when I was there)

- A La Becasse: clay pitchers of slightly-sweetened lambic from cask

- A la Mort Subite: we stumbled across this one on a walk. Beautiful building. Mort Subite brands are mostly the faux/sweetened lambic, but their Gueuze is legit.

- Bia Mara: Fantastic fish n' chips, De La Senne beers

There's also a bottle shop near Grand Place (Beer Temple?) so you can stuff your suitcase if you have room after all the Loons.

There were some lambic breweries on the outskirts of town (3F, Boon), but we didn't venture outside the city. Most Belgian breweries aren't set up for walk-up business: tours are for large groups, scheduled way in advance. Cantillon is an exception, and its in the heart of Brussels.

guido:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on May 22, 2014, 01:38:45 PM ---"Around Brussels/Brugge in 80 Beers" - I bought the Brussels version before our trip and its perfect for traveling without a tour group.

My personal fav's:

- Cantillon: spend a whole afternoon in the cafe, drinking bottles you can't buy and eating Gueuze sausage.
 - Delirium Cafe upstairs: FRESH Dupont on tap is an eye-opening experience.

- Moeder Lambic: Belgian craft beer bar. Ridiculous stuff on draft (4 Cantillon casks when I was there)

- A La Becasse: clay pitchers of slightly-sweetened lambic from cask

- A la Mort Subite: we stumbled across this one on a walk. Beautiful building. Mort Subite brands are mostly the faux/sweetened lambic, but their Gueuze is legit.

- Bia Mara: Fantastic fish n' chips, De La Senne beers

There's also a bottle shop near Grand Place (Beer Temple?) so you can stuff your suitcase if you have room after all the Loons.

There were some lambic breweries on the outskirts of town (3F, Boon), but we didn't venture outside the city. Most Belgian breweries aren't set up for walk-up business: tours are for large groups, scheduled way in advance. Cantillon is an exception, and its in the heart of Brussels.

--- End quote ---

This is exactly what I was looking for!

pdietert:
Sorry, I have been to Bruges but do not remember anything, The beer is way too good. ;D

What kind of recommendation are you looking for? Breweries? Bars? restaurants? hotels?

It is an adult Disney Land, you will not have any problems finding something to do even if you have no predetermined plans. No shortage of beer or bars or food.

Watch the movie "In Bruges" with Colin Farrell.  It is a dark movie but it really shows you the scenery.

Here is a good resource for breweries:

http://www.belgium-mapped-out.com/breweries.html

I went with the family so did not get to visit any breweries, but will next time.

HoosierBrew:
Sorry to derail, but if the color 'green with envy' came through the forum, I'd look like a field of shamrocks. Hopefully, I'll be reviving this thread in a couple years. Just saying I like Belgian beer pretty well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version