Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bravo, El Dorado  (Read 4907 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bravo, El Dorado
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
I just used El Dorado for the first time with my last brew. Normally I like my IPAs along the lines that Jon explained, but I decided to switch it up and try a fruit bomb IPA. I flavored with equals parts of El Dorado, Meridian, Nelson, and Centennial. 1/2 oz each at FWH, bittered with Columbus, oz each at 10 min, oz each at 0 min with a hop stand. I'll be racking on an oz of each for dry hopping this weekend.

I loved the smell of El Dorado. Reminded me a bunch of Galaxy with smell and looks. I wish I could give you more info.
Frank

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »
a10t2,

OK, I'll bite...why do you not like Chico?
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »
Roger that on the new hop lines DC, I'll leave it to the youg'uns to find a different hop direction. ;)
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 03:10:52 pm »
Late additions and dry hopped Bravo are mostly floral with a bit of fruit.  Ommegang uses Bravo as a dry hop in Hop House BPA.  The result is girly perfume which can be quite polarizing for extra manly beer drinkers. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »
Late additions and dry hopped Bravo are mostly floral with a bit of fruit.  Ommegang uses Bravo as a dry hop in Hop House BPA.  The result is girly perfume which can be quite polarizing for extra manly beer drinkers.

I agree with the perfume quality bravo can contribute based on the pale ale I used them in. I did an all columbus beer once which had a similar perfumy quality. This is the main reason why I think they are similar and why I only use Columbus for bittering now.

Williams Brewing describes bravo as a mix of Columbus and Amarillo with orange qualities. This is what originally interested me. I don't agree with the description...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:28 pm »
Hmmmm sounds like I should experiment with el dorado in a batch or two. May even try dry-hopping a very small portion of my honeydew melomel with it, just for fun.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:12 pm »
Williams Brewing describes bravo as a mix of Columbus and Amarillo with orange qualities. This is what originally interested me. I don't agree with the description...

I don't know about Bravo, but that is a dead-on description of Apollo. Fantastic hop if that's what you're looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 07:14:04 am »
I brewed it yesterday, 10 gallon batch. I'm going to try Bravo next week. It's for the tasting room so not worried about being forced to drink 10 gallons of it myself. Someone out there will love it and everyone will want to try it.

Great feedback, though! Thanks folks!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 09:52:06 am »
Firestone Walker makes an all-El Dorado barleywine called Hell Dorado and it is definitely full of that sort of life saver/jolly rancher fruit candy flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 10:11:27 am »

Firestone Walker makes an all-El Dorado barleywine called Hell Dorado and it is definitely full of that sort of life saver/jolly rancher fruit candy flavor.

I love everything out of firestone (until easy jack), but I don't know if I would want to try that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »

I love everything out of firestone (until easy jack), but I don't know if I would want to try that.

For me, these new crazy/fruity hops are at their most interesting blended into a traditional IPA blend, like with Centennial , Amarillo, Chinook, Columbus, etc.  For example , El Dorado is really interesting for a pint or two, not so much after (to me) because of the sweet fruitiness. But it makes makes a really cool addition to a traditional IPA blend, where people are trying to put their finger on what quality is different but good, and wanting more.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »

For me, these new crazy/fruity hops are at their most interesting blended into a traditional IPA blend, like with Centennial , Amarillo, Chinook, Columbus, etc.  For example , El Dorado is really interesting for a pint or two, not so much after (to me) because of the sweet fruitiness. But it makes makes a really cool addition to a traditional IPA blend, where people are trying to put their finger on what quality is different but good, and wanting more.
I totally agree with this. I like the new hop varieties better when mixed with some of the old standbys instead of by themselves. I even use them in smaller ratios when mixing with C hops and I think it gives an interesting complexity to the piney, citrusy flavor.
Dan Chisholm

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 09:03:02 am »

I agree. It is fruit overload by itself.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »
I used El Dorado hops for the first time and sampled the beer this past weekend with some fellow homebrewers.  For a point of reference, here is the recipe to the IPA (tasting notes below the recipe)

18 pounds 2 row (96%)
0.75 pounds carpils (4%)
mashed at 153F for 60 minutes

Hops:
1 oz Millenium 12.9% 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette 4.2% 20 minutes
2 oz El Dorado 15.6% 20 minutes
1 oz Willamette 4.2% 10 minutes
2 oz El Dorado 15.6% 10 minutes
1 oz El Dorado 15.6%  0 minutes

WLP001 (top cropped - 2nd generation)

Original Gravity 1.064, Final Gravity 1.010, IBU 84 calculated

Tasting Notes:
There wasn't as much aroma as expected.  I needed a good carbonation after kegging to get a faint hop aroma.  I smelled a slight tropical hop aroma.  My fellow homebrewers thought the aroma was closer to watermelon rind. 

The taste was very pleasant with no harsh bitterness.  I quickly picked up the taste of the El Dorado hops as most closely resembling a pear.  This was seconded by one of my friends.  It is possible that the Willamette hops played into taste, but largely I felt the El Dorado dominated.  It is a very palatable hop, but it isn't an aggressive one.  I think this would be a good base of hop oils with other combinations of hops.  Definitely one to tinker with in IPA recipes.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »
Tried el dorado IPA at a brewery in pasco Washington last night and it was fruity for sure, but I enjoyed it. Didn't find it overpowering. That said, not sure I'd want to drink 2 of em. But not an unpleasant experience at all.