Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer grilled cheese  (Read 5021 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Beer grilled cheese
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 02:36:25 pm »
I share Jonathan's concern but would give it a try both ways.

Try using 1-2 day old crusty bread slices dunked in the mixture and then laid to rest in the fridge until the next day before grilling. This produces a more uniform and toothsome product.

I'm gonna try the article's recipe this evening with avocado and mayo instead of the butter. And use bock in the same bock-beer bread.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »
Thanks for inspiring me to make a grilled cheese, which something I haven't done for 15+ years.  It sounds delicious.

Really? Grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite cold weather meals. At least once a week in December and January.

Yes, really.  I had a difficult childhood and meals that remind me of elementary school are met with considerable resistance.  That doesn't seem to matter now, because beer!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 03:15:24 pm »
I'm gonna try the article's recipe this evening with avocado and mayo instead of the butter. And use bock in the same bock-beer bread.
Butter is melted in the pan for frying. Don't think mayo would work for that. ;)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:43 pm »
I normally spread mayo instead of butter with a GC but yeah perhaps with a FT technique it might not work very well. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 07:36:08 pm »

BTW I need a good beer bread thin thin crust pizza doh recipe
[/quote]
Google Peter Rheinhart's pizza dough recipe. I have been using it for years in my wood fired oven. Its killer even though there is no beer in it, but you could replace some water. Its very workable, its fermented, and you can make super thin pizzas. The ice water retards yeast growth so enzymes convert more starch to sugar before fermentation. Its very easy, freezable, and the work gets done a day ahead, at least.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 10:54:10 pm »
I made this today. Of course, I used half the amount of bread and let it soak overnight. Jonathan, I quickly and lightly seared the interior first. Mine was done on the outside and inside still a little custardy but attribute that to using too much batter and the long sit.

Appears to me that the bread in the recipe is probably more than a little "al dente" and not soaked through. To do it again, I'll use staler bread, reduce the soak time and grill both sides of each slice.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

BTW I need a good beer bread thin thin crust pizza doh recipe
Google Peter Rheinhart's pizza dough recipe. I have been using it for years in my wood fired oven. Its killer even though there is no beer in it, but you could replace some water. Its very workable, its fermented, and you can make super thin pizzas. The ice water retards yeast growth so enzymes convert more starch to sugar before fermentation. Its very easy, freezable, and the work gets done a day ahead, at least.
[/quote]

Thanks.  Got it. I'll try it soon

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 01:50:59 pm »
When it comes to anything bread related, Reinhardt is the man.  His book "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" turned my bread around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49:11 pm »
When it comes to anything bread related, Reinhardt is the man.  His book "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" turned my bread around.
Amen to that! I've been baking bread for decades but still learned a ton from that book. I even make that big miche that the woman is holding on the cover. He's all about temp/ time control in fermentation which I think we can relate to.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
Sounds like Reinhart's book is worth reading then. I'm going through 1-2 loaves a week by my own hand. Stale bread is perfect for french toast.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 02:45:08 am »

Google Peter Rheinhart's pizza dough recipe...

Coincidentally, that's the dough recipe I've used the last couple times I made pizza, including yesterday. Yeah, it's good. I substituted 1/2 cup whole spelt flour and it worked well. I'll increase it a bit next time. Another thing I've learned about pizza crust - rolling it out ruins it. You gotta hand stretch it. You can use a rolling pin to help even it out a bit, but a good recipe and hand stretching has improved my pizzas significantly.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 12:01:10 pm »

Google Peter Rheinhart's pizza dough recipe...

Coincidentally, that's the dough recipe I've used the last couple times I made pizza, including yesterday. Yeah, it's good. I substituted 1/2 cup whole spelt flour and it worked well. I'll increase it a bit next time. Another thing I've learned about pizza crust - rolling it out ruins it. You gotta hand stretch it. You can use a rolling pin to help even it out a bit, but a good recipe and hand stretching has improved my pizzas significantly.
Absolutely never roll it. I've been making pizza so long I forgot that people do that. Just stretch it out on the back of your hands. This recipe is so workable that you can make it super thin with little effort. I also put some fennel seeds with the corn meal on the peel.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:44 am »
Sounds like Reinhart's book is worth reading then. I'm going through 1-2 loaves a week by my own hand. Stale bread is perfect for french toast.
Definitely. You might also look at his book 'Artisan Breads Every Day' which is more about saving time and fitting these processes into a work schedule.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958