Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trader Joe's Vintage Ale from Unibroue  (Read 2462 times)

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
Trader Joe's Vintage Ale from Unibroue
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »
Do any of you guys know what strain this is? I've got a case of this and it is lovely. Thinking about culturing the dregs. LMK TIA
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Trader Joe's Vintage Ale from Unibroue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
IIRC WY3864 is Unibroue yeast.  I know that's what in La Fin du Monde and I'd guess it's in the Vintage/Terrible also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »
Hmm. Sounds like a trip to the local TJ's to see.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »
Roger tat DC.....heading out to the brew shed for a flask. I had to "sacrifice" and open a bottle so I can get to the yeast. I remember you saying that you can't get it(Vintage Ale) up in Eugene. Maybe you need to talk to the mgr at TJ's. I pretty much bought them out of their stock....at 4.99 a bottle it's cheap but half the price....go figure!  ;D
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »
I came across a couple bottles in my cellar last weekend.  Maybe I'll pop one open.  My recollection is they're not too bad at all.

FWIW, I've cultured the yeast from La Fin du Monde and it does quite nicely.  I'm sure you could culture the yeast from one of these or, as Denny notes, buy a smack pack when they are available.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:54:46 pm »
I must be getting blind in my old age. I went to the wyeast site and can't find 3864 anywhere... DC, did you say it was a special release?
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »
Yes.  Special release.  Available in the fall, IIRC.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:12 pm »
Roger tat DC.....heading out to the brew shed for a flask. I had to "sacrifice" and open a bottle so I can get to the yeast. I remember you saying that you can't get it(Vintage Ale) up in Eugene. Maybe you need to talk to the mgr at TJ's. I pretty much bought them out of their stock....at 4.99 a bottle it's cheap but half the price....go figure!  ;D

From what I've been told, TJ didn't file the paperwork to be bale to sell it.  I dunno, that's about 84th hand!  However, our Costco has started catting Unibroue (along with Rodenbach and Chimay) that the TJ Vintage is the same as Unibroue Terrible, which I can get at Costco for $7.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:38:55 pm »
At least you can get it so, that's good. Saving 2 bucks a bottle would even be better IMO especially if you buy it by the case like me. IFIWY I'd start turning some screws....it's not like you don't have any influence...just sayin.
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:08 pm »
Yes.  Special release.  Available in the fall, IIRC.

Actually it was just out 1st quarter of this year. It was released about a year and a half after the previous release so probably fall 2015 next if I had to guess.

If you want to see it more often, then email Wyeast to request that it be a year round strain. They base their decisions on that kind of feedback.

FWIW, this is one of my favorite strains. It tastes great and is super versatile. Wish it was available all year long.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »
The corks on the TJ bottles are a b**** to get out. I typically buy a case each year but stopped when I had to resort to a pair of heavy pliers to coax the cork out. Sometimes it would work, other times it would fail. Corkscrews became useless, hence the pliers.

The beer is decent, certainly worth $5, but those damned corks ...

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:33:36 am »
Never had a problem with the corks. I let it sit at room temp for aqbout an hour before I open it so, that might be the solution.
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!