Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BraufactuM Roog  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
BraufactuM Roog
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »
In preparation for my forthcoming Smoked Ham on Rye with Mustard beer, I felt the need to purchase a smoked beer I've never tried.

BraufactuM is the brewery.  I've never heard of them, but was immediately fixated on their capital M which ends their name.  They have a quasi-nouveau teutonic logo created with MS Paint that would have been cool in 1984, if you were into Industrial music at the time.  They appear to fancy themselves as members of high society based on their marketing.  I'm guessing the owner is 20-30 and his family is ridiculously wealthy.   

Roog is the name of the beer.  BTW, Roog is the supreme God and creator of the indigenous Serer religion of the Senegambia region.  There is no translation of Roog from German to English, so I guess that's what it means.  There are no pictures of the god Roog on the internet, so you will have to be content with a picture of the Dutch DJ Roog who likely fancies himself as a God.

Germany is the country of origin.  Brewed in Frankfurt, the same city that made Frankfurters famous, not to be confused with hot dogs.

Review of the actual beer:

It pours a hazy deep brown with a fluffy, two finger, tan head that disappears to a ring around the glass in less than 2 minutes.  Good enough for me.

Aroma immediately after the pour is British light funky yeast which disappears quickly and never returns.  The yeast probably isn't British, but it smelt like it.  Light smokey bacon, mild chocolate malt and mild noble hop aroma are present for the duration. 

The taste is like the aroma.  This isn't a bold smoke beer.  It's 50% less potent than Aecht Marzen in the smoke category.  At first, I wondered where the flavor was in this beer.  It gradually made a good impression.  The last 11oz. of this beer was 2x as satisfying as the first. 

The body was relatively thick and velvety compared to the American IPA which preceded it.  Similar to an average stout.

Overall, I'd call this is a dunkelweizen with light smoke.  At first, I thought it was too weak, but enjoyed it after 60% of the bomber was consumed.  This beer had no brewing flaws beyond the subjective evaluation of the recipe.  The cost was $6.99 for 22oz.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: BraufactuM Roog
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
So does this have any hefeweizen yeast character? I'm not a fan of rauchbier at all, but smoked clove and banana is even less appealing to me than a normal rauch...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:55 am »
I didn't get any clove or banana from it.  The yeast was closer to being neutral than Hefe.  There was a transient blast of yeasty aroma when I first poured it out.  It didn't smell like cloves or bananas and disappeared after a few minutes.   

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:51:54 am »
I had this on draft at the Epcot Wine and Food Festival last year. I liked it. It had restrained banana/clove/smoke, not overly obvious and ... umm ... Americany. Very drinkable, I think a bomber would make a good warm up size.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:17 pm »
After I wrote the review, I noticed it was bottled only 7 days ago assuming their best by date is one year.  I can't even get American beer that fresh!

It's a good smoke beer to try, if you aren't looking for major smokiness.  It was smooth and easy to drink.  I was hoping for a smoke bomb.