Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weizenporter?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Weizenporter?
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:24:27 am »
I was listening to a podcast on Dunkelweizen recently and got to thinking (which is always a dangerous thing). How would a hefeweizen yeast work in something like a porter or stout? Nothing beats a slice of chocolate-chip banana bread with a hot coffee for breakfast, and this seems like it would hit that ballpark. I haven't been a big fan of the Belgian stouts I've tried, but I was thinking a hefe strain would be more straight-up banana/clove than a Belgian strain.

I was thinking something like this:

1.055ish
25ish IBU's of Magnum @ 60 minutes

40% Wheat malt
30% Light Munich
10% Dark Munich
10% English Dark Crystal
5% Chocolate Wheat
5% Black Malt

WY3638 @ 62F

Thoughts?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Weizenporter?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »
I'm surprised there's no replies on this, but sounds interesting to me. I have no experience in this, but it seems like it may work.
I recently made a hefe using the Northern Brewer Wyeast strain to build up the yeast for an upcoming batch. It turned out to be a good beer that came out super clear with a crisp taste. The wheat didn't really come through, but still fun to experiment.
If you brew it or already have, post back the results.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »
I may split a batch in the winter to try this out, but I did have a few concerns about this particular style mashup as I thought about it more.

A) Carbonation - hefe's like it high, porters don't. You may be OK splitting this in the middle, but I'm not sure.

B) Water profile - this is the one that may be tough to deal with. Roasty beers typically want high pH, but hefe's are much better at the lower end of the range. Maybe a dry Irish stout would be the best option here because of this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »
Do your standard porter recipe with a tad more wheat.  Ferment a little higher, let the banana come out.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:02 am »
I brewed a schwarzweizen once, I didn't care for it much. It's a legitimate style to brew, there's several on the market.
Jesse