Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NB's Plinian Legacy  (Read 4022 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: NB's Plinian Legacy
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:06 pm »
I had severe acute bronchitis last winter followed by long-term recovery with assistance of corticosteroids -- ended up in Urgent Care twice and the ER once, I believe largely since nobody seems willing to prescribe strong antibiotics these days except when it approaches malpractice.

Anyway, I have been supporting my lungs' ability to rebound hopefully completely, and so last winter I bought a couple air purifiers to help with that, and in part as a defensive measure due to a nearby neighbor who likes to burn noxious wood in his woodstove in winter, and his crap smoke blows against my house.

I also have low to moderate seasonal allergies to pollen/grass/trees/mold.

Anyway, in case you're interested you might at least seasonally consider an air purifier.  The one via the link below is whisper quiet, works very well, and has provided me with lots of relief and clear air passages, both lungs and sinus, especially overnight via the one in the bedroom.  My other one is in my living room.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067D7CKU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:48 pm »
I'd go so far as to say that it's the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted.

I don't know if it's my allergies or what, but right now I feel like this beer has about as much hop bitterness and character as a Miller Lite.

I go through that with my hoppy beers sometimes. I have allergy issues and I've had times where I drank one of my beers and felt really disappointed and underwhelmed with the hop character, only to have one a day or two later and realize it was pretty darn good.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 08:11:57 pm »
I had severe acute bronchitis last winter followed by long-term recovery with assistance of corticosteroids -- ended up in Urgent Care twice and the ER once, I believe largely since nobody seems willing to prescribe strong antibiotics these days except when it approaches malpractice.

Anyway, I have been supporting my lungs' ability to rebound hopefully completely, and so last winter I bought a couple air purifiers to help with that, and in part as a defensive measure due to a nearby neighbor who likes to burn noxious wood in his woodstove in winter, and his crap smoke blows against my house.

I also have low to moderate seasonal allergies to pollen/grass/trees/mold.

Anyway, in case you're interested you might at least seasonally consider an air purifier.  The one via the link below is whisper quiet, works very well, and has provided me with lots of relief and clear air passages, both lungs and sinus, especially overnight via the one in the bedroom.  My other one is in my living room.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067D7CKU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try eating Raw Local Honey 1-2 times a day.  It will help with this type of allergy.

/Derail Thread
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »
That happened to me one time at the RR brewery, the next day was bad for the old schnozzle and sinus.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 06:13:22 am »
I've been experimenting with hop shots lately.  The last two IPAs I have made, my 60 minute addition was one 10 ml hop shot.  The first one turned out really good, the second one just started cold-crashing.  I may try a 5 ml hop shot next time though because I wonder if my wort is beyond saturated with a a 10 ml HS.
The reason I'm wondering this, is that when I use a HS, I get reddish brown resinous spots all over my boil kettle.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton