Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about storing multiple types of hops in the freezer  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Up til now, I've stored my hops in the fridge. I'm going to begin storing them in the Freezer. I'm going to store them in Ziploc vacuum seal bags. My question is, should I store different types of hops in separate bags to avoid having them meld their flavors and aromas?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Question about storing multiple types of hops in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:02 pm »
I store all of mine in vacuum bags individually. I recommend the same.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »
Store seperate, in vacuum pack bags in the freezer for long term storage.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:39:37 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll pack each one in it's own vacuum bag them put all of those in a larger freezer bag for one more layer of protection. Thanks again for the info!
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:27 am »
I buy in bulk, so what I do is cut an extra-long bag for my foodsaver. When I need a hop I cut the top portion of the bag off, then reseal the bag. It's a big time and money saver.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:31:26 am »
I buy in bulk, so what I do is cut an extra-long bag for my foodsaver. When I need a hop I cut the top portion of the bag off, then reseal the bag. It's a big time and money saver.

+1.... I usually use the pre-made quart sized bags. I can usually get by with one bag for any flavor/aroma hops. Sometimes I have to use a second bag by the time I get through using a pound of bittering hops with cutting and resealing the bags.
Frank

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:11 am »
My vacuum food saver has a canning jar attachment. I PACK quart jars full of One single variety
of hop, apply the lid/vacuum seal put on the screw ring and store in the freezer. Light is not an
issue in the dark interior of the freezer.  When time to brew, I open a jar, remove the
amount of hops needed, and then re-vacuum the  same jar....back in to cold storage it goes.

I think someone on this forum enlightened me about this method and it works well.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:38:36 am »
Just be sure whatever bags you use are oxygen barrier or everything in your freezer will taste like hops. I don't have a food vacuum sealer so I use these http://www.amazon.com/Mylar-Ziplock-Food-Storage-Bags/dp/B004WYTCEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401029940&sr=8-3&keywords=ziplock+mylar+bags
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:59:30 am by gymrat »
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:17:38 am »
Just be sure whatever bags you use are oxygen barrier or everything in your freezer will taste like hops. I don't have a food vacuum sealer so I use these http://www.amazon.com/Mylar-Ziplock-Food-Storage-Bags/dp/B004WYTCEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401029940&sr=8-3&keywords=ziplock+mylar+bags

You have something besides hops in your freezer?   :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 11:34:42 am »

I guess I'm OK. I leave my pellet hops in the mylar bag they came with, with the top snipped off and I seal them in a Ziploc vacuum bag. I'm wondering if removing the air from the bag seals the open end of the mylar bag enough. Maybe I should fold the bag over a couple of times and tape it before I seal the vacuum bag?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:22:37 am »
You have something besides hops in your freezer?   :o
The wife has a couple of those frozen drinks packages (happy wife...happy life) and I store my ice cream maker pot in there for when I need it.  Also my freezer packs which I use when taking growlers off site.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:38:30 am »

I guess I'm OK. I leave my pellet hops in the mylar bag they came with, with the top snipped off and I seal them in a Ziploc vacuum bag. I'm wondering if removing the air from the bag seals the open end of the mylar bag enough. Maybe I should fold the bag over a couple of times and tape it before I seal the vacuum bag?
IME, those Ziploc bags will lose their seal over a month or so when bagging hops. I double bagged when I used them, but I upgraded to  FoodSaver that works much better.

The Ziploc bags are fine for meat, though. I wonder if a little liquid helps the seal?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.