Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite Hops that are rarely mentioned...  (Read 7510 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Your favorite Hops that are rarely mentioned...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 07:06:37 am »
I was going to say Nugget. But was beat to it. I especially like nugget in dark ales. I did not care for the Ahtanum when I tried it a few years ago. It was sold to me as a Amarillo sub and it was not. I guess I should give it another shake.

Crystal is one of my very favorite hops. Reminds me favorably of a noble Hallertauer type. French strisslspalt is another one I enjoy very well.

Aurora was excellent when you could find it. Maybe it is still available somewhere but I can't find it. Kind of a fruity version of Styrian Goldings.

So many of these hops that I used to use all the time that I have fallen out of the habit of using. Need to go back in and try many of them again.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:51 am »
I'm dry hopping a black IPA today with Galaxy and Wakatau. I haven't used them in my own brewing yet, but really like their Lemon/lime, fruity, juicy fruit gum  aroma they add to beers I have tasted that use them in dry hopping. I'll let you know how it turns out .

I used Wakatu in my last white wheat beer. It is the most refreshing wheat beer I have ever brewed. I ordered another half a pound of them so I can keep some of this beer around all summer.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:39 am »
I'll toss in another vote for Nugget.

I am enjoying using the Belma I have in various ways. I bought a couple pounds when they first came out and I'm still going through the first pound. It's very smooth bittering and it's a nice fruit/grassy note mixed into saisons. It's a very mellow flavor on its own but I think it does a good job of rounding out a blend of hops. I make a tasty black IPA with Belma, Chinook and Cascade.

Aramis is another hop I am learning to love. It's noble-like plus lemon and spice.

Lots of the older American varieties are underappreciated and overlooked, like Perle and Mount Hood.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:44 am »
I'd add Brewer's Gold, Cluster, and Nugget as underrated/under used...

Brewers Gold, Cluster, and Bullion are still my favorite 'old school-go to' hops.  I use these more than any other varieties.  Nugget and Colimbus are also ones I try to keep a supply of.

I guess I just don't like the overly citrus or 'tropical' flavors found in so many of the newer varieties, or if I do use them, I use them for blends, in  small quantities.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 12:46:32 pm »
More hops mentioned that I planed to mention:

Wakatu - I think I've tried most of the NZ hops and Wakatu is my favorite NZ hop.  It's lime + Hallertau Hersbrucker with a higher AA.  The flavor and aroma it provides has worked well for me in wheats and various Belgians.  It's a bit expensive, but Farmhouse has 2013 Wakatu on sale for $1 an ounce right now.

Crystal - it's a mild hop with cinnamon, black pepper and mild floral.  I never regret using it.  It blends well with most hops.  I like to use it in saisons as a single hop or primary hop, but wouldn't hesitate to toss it in almost anything as a complimentary hop.   

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 12:50:24 pm »
Bramling Cross works real well in stouts,and porters .

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 12:55:18 pm »
Southern cross. Very hard to find here. Clean and spicy. I scored some in a raffle years ago. It was donated by Sierra Nevada around the time of their Southern Hemisphere harvest release.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 02:55:59 pm »
Target and Northdown for British hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 07:32:06 pm »
Warrior, Crystal...
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
A lot of good posts here, but some of you have been naughty and neglected to tell us why you like to use these hops.  How do you use them?  What qualities do they have?

I'd like to know something about Bullion, Target, Northdown, Warrior, Cluster, Serebrianka, Perle, Santiam, Celeia from the people who use and like them.

I know Warrior is good for bittering, but have you used it for finishing?  The others are unfamiliar to me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:14 pm »
A lot of good posts here, but some of you have been naughty and neglected to tell us why you like to use these hops.  How do you use them?  What qualities do they have?

I'd like to know something about Bullion, Target, Northdown, Warrior, Cluster, Serebrianka, Perle, Santiam, Celeia from the people who use and like them.

I know Warrior is good for bittering, but have you used it for finishing?  The others are unfamiliar to me.

Bullion is a sister of Brewers Gold and has a very "hoppy" taste, and maybe some woodsy taste that reminds people of oak.

Target and Northdown are classic earthy British hops, But north down is often used later for aroma. Fuller's uses a lot of those.

Cluster is the classic old school American hop. It has black current flavor, can be a little rough, and if old it is catty. I use it in a CAP all at he time, and also in a Ballantine IPA clone that also uses Bullion (I am aging one now and might dry hop later with Brewers Gold).

Hope this helps.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 04:52:36 pm »
Sterling
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »

Bullion is a sister of Brewers Gold and has a very "hoppy" taste, and maybe some woodsy taste that reminds people of oak.

Target and Northdown are classic earthy British hops, But north down is often used later for aroma. Fuller's uses a lot of those.

Cluster is the classic old school American hop. It has black current flavor, can be a little rough, and if old it is catty. I use it in a CAP all at he time, and also in a Ballantine IPA clone that also uses Bullion (I am aging one now and might dry hop later with Brewers Gold).

Hope this helps.

Yes this helps.  Thank you.

Avery uses Bullion in some of their dark beers.  It's the only time I've seen Bullion in a recipe.  Both are good beers.  Out of Bounds Stout and Old Jubilation.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
+1 to Cluster being a little rough and occasionally catty. I think the rough edge of Cluster gave it kind of a bad rap for years. But I used it to bitter IPAs back when hop selection was more limited (ie., 90s) and actually liked it for that, much as some brewers bitter IPAs today with Columbus or Chinook for a pleasantly coarse bitterness.
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:54 pm »

Sure thing!

Serebrianka - Very lovely aroma that is reminiscent of fresh tobacco. A nice spiciness to it. I like this in pretty much everything: Scottish and English Ales, Saisons, Pale American Lagers. I think it is particularly good in darker beers.

Perle -  I get herbs like English Thyme, and Rosemary, with a really nice noble spiciness. It has a smooth bitterness to it. Some people say they get a prominent mint note from it. I do not. I like it in German Lagers and ales, Saisons, and as a compliment to American hops in AIPAs.

Celeia - A lot like Styrian Goldings, but with a more lemony aroma. I use it as a single hop in a Patersbier type brew. All pils malt, all celeia and wyeast 3787. Nice refreshing beverage for the summer.
Kyle M.