Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heady Topper  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Heady Topper
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 08:16:47 am »
Hop Extract gives a nice smooth bitterness without the sideeffect of green flavors at this amounts.  Id suggest using the extract.  You can buy a 100g tin at Yakima for 20 bucks, and buy some Leur Lock syringes and make about 20 hopshots yourself for a fraction of the price.  There are quite a few hard to find beers that use the hopshots, including both Pliny Recipes.

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/extractco2cans.htm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=leur+lock&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aleur+lock

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 08:34:03 am »
So what do people think about the hopshots? use them? use a high alpha hop instead?

I can't speak to this recipe in particular, but my feeling is that you don't need them - especially at the homebrew scale. Even for a high-gravity wort, you don't need more than an ounce or two of high alpha hops to max out your IBU threshold. Compared to the amount of hops you'll be using for your flavor and aroma additions, that's nothing.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a bit more control over the sharpness/smoothness of my bittering addition (Magnum vs. Chinook, for example) by taking control of the hop variety selection.

Having said that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using Hop Shot. There is kind of a "cool factor" in adding your bittering addition of murky resin using a syringe. If you like to brew big IPA's you should at least try it out once and see what you think. The results are just fine. Bittering is a smooth-to-moderate in quality (sharper than Magnum, smoother than Nugget) in my experience.

I agree. Like Eric said, an oz or two of high AA hops for bittering as compared to the volume of late hops is pretty inconsequential IMO. Nothing wrong with giving the hop shot a try though.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 09:11:20 am »
So what do people think about the hopshots? use them? use a high alpha hop instead?

I did some beta testing fro NB when they were bein g developed.  I used them maybe 5 times and was kinda underwhelmed.  Maybe they've improved them since then.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell