Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old school. Really old school!  (Read 4347 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: Old school. Really old school!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 11:54:48 am »
Same thing attracts me to brewing.  We have a big garden and grow a lot of our own stuff.  Onions, Garlic, Peppers, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and much more....

We usually store 75 or so garlic plants, probably 100+ red onions - usually gets us through until about this time of year.

One thing we make a LOT of is Bloody Mary Mix - we use almost all of our own stuff, with a few extra things thrown in - but, I would say we juice enough tomatoes for making about 60-80 quarts of bloody mary mix.  We drink it a lot - usually with no alcohol in it to be honest. It is nice and spicy.

Also can a lot of Tomato/Basil soup.

We pickle Asparagus for the bloody mary's.

I make my own Horseradish - probably 20-30 pints per year...... friends snatch them up as fast as I offer them.

I also make a lot of peach-habenaro BBQ sauce with peppers I grow as well as a number of other homegrown ingredients.

Pretty much anything we can think of -we do on our own.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 02:57:17 pm »
Same thing attracts me to brewing.  We have a big garden and grow a lot of our own stuff.  Onions, Garlic, Peppers, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and much more....

We usually store 75 or so garlic plants, probably 100+ red onions - usually gets us through until about this time of year.

One thing we make a LOT of is Bloody Mary Mix - we use almost all of our own stuff, with a few extra things thrown in - but, I would say we juice enough tomatoes for making about 60-80 quarts of bloody mary mix.  We drink it a lot - usually with no alcohol in it to be honest. It is nice and spicy.

Also can a lot of Tomato/Basil soup.

We pickle Asparagus for the bloody mary's.

I make my own Horseradish - probably 20-30 pints per year...... friends snatch them up as fast as I offer them.

I also make a lot of peach-habenaro BBQ sauce with peppers I grow as well as a number of other homegrown ingredients.

Pretty much anything we can think of -we do on our own.
As I was planting celery the other day I realized we would have all the ingredients this year for homemade bloody Mary mix. I bring the food processor outside when I make the horseradish so I can keep my eyes open.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »

As I was planting celery the other day I realized we would have all the ingredients this year for homemade bloody Mary mix. I bring the food processor outside when I make the horseradish so I can keep my eyes open.

Ha..... I do the same thing with Horseradish - I made it once in my kitchen and nearly fell to my knees from the fumes.  It is made on the screened-in porch since then.

Homemade bloody mary mix is great.  We put tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, peppers, lemons, limes, etc. all through our juicer to make the base and then add in things like horseradish, pepper, old bay, celery seed, Bold and spicy A-1, etc.  It is an awesome way to make use of excess tomatoes.

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
I've got all of the heirloom non-gmo seeds to grow a myriad of vegetables, herbs etc. but, with everything going on with weird work schedules etc. I think I'm going to make next year my target for getting things rolling. In the meantime the wife and I only consume organic foods/dairy and grass fed beef with no hormones. It's pricy until I can get my own stuff going but, I refuse to eat corporate sponsored poison!
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
  • Liberal Elitist
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
As someone else said, I make my own BBQ rubs and smoke my own meats, low and slow. When I started out five or six years ago I decided to go with a wood burning offset smoker. Wanted to learn to tend the fire, rather than go with one of the set-it-and-forget-it smokers. Of course, since I do have to tend it, I don't have time to use it as often as I might like. But it's a helluva nice way to spend the day when the opportunity presents itself.

Unrelated, I'm planning to try some tomatoes this season, in pots out on my deck. Had some volunteer plants many years ago, but this will be my first attempt to deliberately grow them. We'll see if I can keep the squirrels and rabbits away from them....
--Monty

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »
In addition to beer, make my own: wine (sometimes) sauerkraut and pickels (fermented), pickled eggs (vinegar cured), hot sauce (with peppers from my garden), home grown spices (fresh and dried), sour dough bread (from my own sour dough culture, though I need to start up a new one).

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
What do you guys think about setting up a dummy website where we can trade stuff with each other? I roast my own coffee, make wine and the wife does everything chocolate....do you think this could work? Of course I brew  beer like all of you guys do but, I can do special Holiday/Special occasion stuff on demand and put it in the mix....just thinking about stuff....
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 08:27:09 pm »
What do you guys think about setting up a dummy website where we can trade stuff with each other? I roast my own coffee, make wine and the wife does everything chocolate....do you think this could work? Of course I brew  beer like all of you guys do but, I can do special Holiday/Special occasion stuff on demand and put it in the mix....just thinking about stuff....
Might work if someone is willing to do the work. Maybe a new thread in " the pub" would be in order. I think we're drifting a bit from general homebrew discussion

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:18 pm »
Sowed the barley today. There were 2 different varieties of 2 row and 6 row. I think I can tell them apart, as the 6 row separates the 2 row varieties. We will wait and see how my farming experiment goes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:56 pm »
Bacon and hot sauce.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 09:59:29 am »
It's hard to get many things to grow through the Texas summer and we get invasions of locusts where I live which makes it difficult to grow many leafy plants. One locust will strip a hop bine in under a day. They won't touch pepper or tomato plants and certain herbs so that's pretty much all I can grow. I would love to pull out half the yard and plant edibles but it wouldn't work well and I'd have to re-sod before we move in a few years so it would be a lot of work for nothing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 12:01:30 pm »
Sowed the barley today. There were 2 different varieties of 2 row and 6 row. I think I can tell them apart, as the 6 row separates the 2 row varieties. We will wait and see how my farming experiment goes.
My patch that I sowed 3+ weeks ago is doing well. It filled in well and is about 4 inches tall. I left about a foot bare between the 6 row and 2 row.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:35 pm »
I've always wanted to try making a gruit beer. Thought Midas Touch was pretty good.

Like the rest I do a lot myself. Americans appear to have lost a lot of the old knowledge but are picking it back up again.

Sweet onion tops are starting to fall over. I'm out so will begin plucking them out of the ground very soon.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
I've always wanted to try making a gruit beer. Thought Midas Touch was pretty good.

Like the rest I do a lot myself. Americans appear to have lost a lot of the old knowledge but are picking it back up again.

Sweet onion tops are starting to fall over. I'm out so will begin plucking them out of the ground very soon.

Wow. Up here I'm at least another month or more before I can even pick scallions.

I do agree that we've come to a time recently where more and more of us have interest in learning some old-time skills before they become lost to the ages. Technology has become a vital part of our lives, and it's a great thing. But it's a nice feeling to be connected back to nature in a more primal way.

My 3-year old planted the "Three Sisters" in preschool yesterday. That was pretty cool to hear about.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

My 3-year old planted the "Three Sisters" in preschool yesterday. That was pretty cool to hear about.

I had never heard of the 3 sisters garden before.  Very interesting.  Having grown up on a farm where we still practiced crop rotation it made perfect sense.

Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?