Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Storage... a little over the top maybe but...  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Bottle Storage... a little over the top maybe but...
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:41:54 am »
Just wanted to pass along a simple yet effective way to store bottles. I'm convinced this is overkill as I am storing them upside down in my fastrack, but if I'm anal about anything in my brewing... it's sanitation.
Anyway, I've found that a standard tall kitchen bag (unscented of course) fits over a 2 stack fastrack. It's also just tight enough to seal around the tray, if you use the tray. Anyhow, this is how I store my bottles after cleaning.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Bottle Storage... a little over the top maybe but...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:25:26 am »
Neat idea!  While I would not consider it to be any more sanitary than just flipping them over... I like that it keeps the dust off so they look nice when you pull them off the pile to dip into sanitizer.   

I always find myself rinsing the dust off the outside then sanitizing... this will definately help.

The only negative I can see would be if this traps moisture inside the bag, and creates humid conditons inside the bag that will allow molds to grow. 

I am thinking just leave the bottom "loose" like you have and only cover the bottles after they have dried... and it makes for the perfect dust cover....

(Now if I can only find a garbge bag big enough for my couch to cover them until company  comes...   ;D  )
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Bottle Storage... a little over the top maybe but...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:57 pm »
I thought about the mold thing too. Mostly I like it, as you said to keep them dust free. I usually cover them with a towel over night til they are dry then bag them. I think you're right as well about venting the bottom. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam