Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary in a Cornie - how and would I need to rack?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Secondary in a Cornie - how and would I need to rack?
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:11:32 am »
I made 15 gals of Kolsch.  It is pretty good but my neighbour wants a beer similar to an Apricot Wheat that we get in Quebec.  I don't have any wheat beer or plans in the short term.
But, I found Mango juice the other day in the grocery story (frozen concentrated).  I've used frozen raspberry before, 3 cans in 5 gals and it was a nice fruity beer.  I'm thinking of doing 3 cans of this into 5 gals.  But, I don't have a glass carboy so here's what I'm thinking.

Add the 3 cans of juice to the cornie and rack the beer on top. I would put a quick connect on the gas in and put that into water to make a blow off-tube (the sugar in the juice will start a secondary fermentation).  Because I don't move my beer once it's finished, I was thinking of just putting the finished keg (once bubbles slow) into the keg freezer and let it crash and serve directly without re-racking.  I don't expect it to last too long.  Anyone see an issue with this?  I may even pull the blow off after a day or so and let it naturally carbonate but I expect that if I go 100% enclosed it may be substantially over carbonated.
Thoughts?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Secondary in a Cornie - how and would I need to rack?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:20:49 am »
I've done something similar with Marionberry preserves. The beer was over carbonated, but ended up good after a week of purging.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »
Use Fermcap so you don't plug the QD.

You could also just keep the keg open to reduce risk of overpressure. Either keep the valve open, remove the lid oring, leave the lid on but loose, etc.

If you want to cap it for natural carbonation, just wait until fermentation starts to slow. You'll probably end up overcarbonated. Up to you if that matters.

If I'm using smooth puree or juice, I add it in the keg. No need for secondary. Fine after 2nd fermentation is finished then dump a pint or so of yeast.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:51:56 pm »
depending on how much sugar you are adding with the juice you can use it as priming sugar. have to do some math but it should work. you might have to wait to seal the vessel until it's part way done (monitor gravity) and seal it up with 6 points to go.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:46:26 pm »
I think after the comments I've received I will just let it finish and then carbonate. 
Thanks all.