Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation done?  (Read 4072 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Fermentation done?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:03 am »
Thanks for the advice Steve and Denny. I'll make a starter after work from some yeast I have at home.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
Thanks for the advice Steve and Denny. I'll make a starter after work from some yeast I have at home.

A BIG starter.  Not just a qt. starter.  Maybe a gal. or two.  Or is there  a brewpub nearby where you could get slurry?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 09:54:22 am »

A BIG starter.  Not just a qt. starter.  Maybe a gal. or two.  Or is there  a brewpub nearby where you could get slurry?
Sadly, very sadly, there is no nearby brewery.  :'( I'm glad you re-emphasized the starter size as I was thinking two quarts. I also like that you refer to quarts and gallons, not this liter nonsense. ;) I'll make a big starter. With a starter that big would you decant as much as possible so I'm not adding a gallon of liquid to 5 gallons of beer?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 10:12:26 am »
I disagree Denny. I have had good luck with 1 quart/liter (I say liter because that is how the flask is marked), not stirred, and pitched at high krausen.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:47 am »
I disagree Denny. I have had good luck with 1 quart/liter (I say liter because that is how the flask is marked), not stirred, and pitched at high krausen.

Well, that's good to know, Steve, although I haven't been that lucky.

Pete, AFAIAC you should ALWAYS decant you starters.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »

Well, that's good to know, Steve, although I haven't been that lucky.

Pete, AFAIAC you should ALWAYS decant you starters.
Maybe I'll grow a 1 Gallon plus 1 liter starter. ;D I've always decanted my starters but I don't remember particularly reading it anywhere, it just makes sense to not add anything but the slurry.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »
I've always decanted my starters but I don't remember particularly reading it anywhere, it just makes sense to not add anything but the slurry.

In most cases I agree and do as well, especially, if you use a stir plate.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:32 am »
I made about a gallon of starter and pitched about 1 1/2 pints of slurry last night. The airlock is active this morning so looking good. Thanks!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:07 pm »
Forgot to tell you: it worked perfectly. It brought it down to 1.010 fast. I bottled tonight after about 10 days cold conditioning and the additional yeast didn't seem to have any ill effects on flavor. Of course now I can't save this yeast for another batch. I wonder if the reason this got stuck was that I underpitched: didn't grow the harvested yeast enough.