Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Gluten Free Liquid Malts  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Briess Gluten Free Liquid Malts
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:18 am »
So im designing a bunch of Gluten Free(GF) ales for the use of the HBS i work at.  Does anyone have any experience with either of Briess's GF Liquid Malt Extracts?  They have White Sorghum and Brown Rice.

Im thinking, from Briess's website descriptions, that the Sorghum Syrup will be the best malt alternative while the Brown rice will add sugars and very little flavor.  Does anyone have any experience with these syrups that could weigh in?

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Re: Briess Gluten Free Liquid Malts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:59:17 am »
I've used Briess' Sorghum a couple of times and for some reason both batches came out disappointing in comparison to Malliard's. I'm not sure if it was the actual sorghum extract or something else...more experiments are needed.

I would point you to the gluten free brewing facebook page though. They have lots and lots and lots of recipes, ideas, ingredient pointers.

Cheers!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »
Having no medical knowledge I am not going to say this is totally safe, but the clarity ferm certainly seems to make a celiac safe beer. the final produce passes all the tests used to ensure 'gluten free' in other products and it is used to make approved beers in Europe and Canada. It has not passed final approval to put it on labels here in the states though.

I have used it to make gluten reduced beers for celiac friends and they have not reported any problems from it. The Omission brand beer is also made with this and has been well received by the celiac community as well.

Just a thought.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:29 am »
Having no medical knowledge I am not going to say this is totally safe, but the clarity ferm certainly seems to make a celiac safe beer. the final produce passes all the tests used to ensure 'gluten free' in other products and it is used to make approved beers in Europe and Canada. It has not passed final approval to put it on labels here in the states though.

I have used it to make gluten reduced beers for celiac friends and they have not reported any problems from it. The Omission brand beer is also made with this and has been well received by the celiac community as well.

Just a thought.

Jonathan,

Ive been looking at the clarity ferm with interest, but the problem becomes that we are marketing this to people with a gluten issue. since clarity ferm hasnt been approved by the many different USA based organizations, it could cause blow back.  Unfortunately it just seems easier to stick with ingrediants that all say gluten free on the branded packaging, which means sticking with sorghum.

I am going to try brewing a batch with clarity ferm for a few sensitive friends and see how they do, but the recipes will not be for sale.

Cheers,
Jeff
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:59 am »
I have a friend who runs a gluten free brewery in PDX named Harvester.  They use all kinds of stuff, including chestnuts.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:48:50 am »
Thanks Denny!  Ill have to check out their site.  we where talking about roasting coffee and coca nibs for color as well as different candi syrups and even molasses.  I was thinking of nuts but i dont have any experience in that area so it would require some experimenting.  I would think a healthy dose of nut oil in a GF beer would cause some head retention issues, no?

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:06 am »
Thanks Denny!  Ill have to check out their site.  we where talking about roasting coffee and coca nibs for color as well as different candi syrups and even molasses.  I was thinking of nuts but i dont have any experience in that area so it would require some experimenting.  I would think a healthy dose of nut oil in a GF beer would cause some head retention issues, no?

Cheers,
Jeff

chestnuts are fat free! I'm planning a chestnut farmhouse ale this summer. It won't be GF (unless I use clarity ferm) but I'm looking forward to the results.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:25 am »

Cheers,
Jeff

It might, but I think the lack of proteins could cause more issues.  I know James, the owner, went through a lot of experimentation with enzymes and devising methods of using the ingredients.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell