Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: question about dry hop time frame.  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: question about dry hop time frame.
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:59:39 am »
Alright, I think I'm going to leave the balls alone and go commando with the hops and save the sock for my wand... or auto siphon as it were.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:21 pm »
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you guys can fit all your dry hops into contraptions like these. If I tried to dry hop in tea balls, it would look like the world's largest string of Ben-Wa balls when I pull them out of the fermenter.

That is outstanding   :D   Bravo.       But I agree.  That dry hop canister I use doesn't have any too much room left after an IPA or IIPA, so I can't imagine something that small.

That's a beautiful graphic. Thank you.

I don't dry hop much and when I do, I don't use massive amounts.  So the balls have worked.  I probably bought them over 10 years ago, prior to kegging.  Since I use BBs I needed something small enough to fit through the neck.  You certainly couldn't use them with whole hops, but they've worked fine with pellets.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you guys can fit all your dry hops into contraptions like these. If I tried to dry hop in tea balls, it would look like the world's largest string of Ben-Wa balls when I pull them out of the fermenter.

That is outstanding   :D   Bravo.       But I agree.  That dry hop canister I use doesn't have any too much room left after an IPA or IIPA, so I can't imagine something that small.

That's a beautiful graphic. Thank you.

I don't dry hop much and when I do, I don't use massive amounts.  So the balls have worked.  I probably bought them over 10 years ago, prior to kegging.  Since I use BBs I needed something small enough to fit through the neck.  You certainly couldn't use them with whole hops, but they've worked fine with pellets.

I wonder... if you used say 3 of them ( I typically dryhop with an ounce or less ) and daisy chained them together, then attach some plain unwaxed dental floss and suspended them in the better bottle if you'd get multiple layers of exposure. I'm assuming the tea balls sink. Just wondering...
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
That's exactly how I've done it.  Yes, they sink.  As far as the layers, I assume the hop oils diffuse throughout the vessel.  1/4 ounce per tea ball should be fine.

I've also used them for oak chips.

For what it's worth, I'm moving to using these since the keg openings are larger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twist-lock-Spice-Ball-Tea-Infuser-Herb-Infuser-Stainless-Steel-Large-Size-2-/141185713458?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

I think I found them for under $10 each and two should be fine for me.  We will see.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 05:38:53 pm »
That's exactly how I've done it.  Yes, they sink.  As far as the layers, I assume the hop oils diffuse throughout the vessel.  1/4 ounce per tea ball should be fine.

I've also used them for oak chips.

For what it's worth, I'm moving to using these since the keg openings are larger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twist-lock-Spice-Ball-Tea-Infuser-Herb-Infuser-Stainless-Steel-Large-Size-2-/141185713458?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

I think I found them for under $10 each and two should be fine for me.  We will see.
It would be cool if those fit the better bottles! So if I'm dry hopping 1 ounce, probably go with 4 balls. Cool
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:34 pm »
According to my notes I used two ounces of cascade for dry hopping, so I guess I did .5 ounce per teaball.

My 2.5 inch infusers arrived today.  They are miserably small compared to the 5 inch one I picked up at the health food store (which does not fit into the cornies and will be returned).

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »
Small FYI for tea ballers... The current Walmart brand Mainstays tea balls do NOT fit the neck of a better bottle. May have been different in earlier versions, but they definitely won't at this time. The ring where the 2 halves come together is just too wide. :)
Corripe Cervisiam