Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: EXP 1210 Hops - Good? Bad? Ugly?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
EXP 1210 Hops - Good? Bad? Ugly?
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:01:33 am »
Have you brewed with this experimental hops variety before? What did you think?

I've got a couple 4-oz bags I found buried in my freezer - reckon they've got almost a year on them but are unopened and the packages are fine.

Thinking of putting a simple AIPA together with a bittering charge of Warrior, and then spreading all 8 oz of this EXP 1210 over several additions including a few oz for dry-hop.

Thoughts?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Re: EXP 1210 Hops - Good? Bad? Ugly?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
Never tried them before. Open up a bag a give them a good sniff, that should tell you if they will work well in the beer you are planning for them. For a new variety, I like to smell them and then smell a variety, like Cascade, that I am familiar with. It gives me a way to compare intensity and type of aroma.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:01 pm »
Sounds about right to me. You might even consider using some as FWH as well.

Let us know how it turns out!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:36:57 am »
OK, so I'm a few weeks into drinking this AIPA and I'll say this; I can't find much on EXP 1210 and now I know why. It's less than spectacular. Supposed to be a Super Cascade, and I like Cascade, but as the prevailing variatal in this brew it just doesn't stand out. Smelled good in the bag, though.

The brew was bittered with Columbus, FW and all other additions were the EXP 1210, including dry-hop. Made a nice APA, but just not enough oomph for an AIPA, in my opinion.

<edit> If they're supposed to be a Super Cascade, than perhaps at a year old, they're a bit weak seeing as Cascade really isn't supposed to store well...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:39:29 am by philm63 »
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:46:44 pm »
This is why less than 1 out of 1000 varietals they start testing out there in Yakima ever make it commercially.

(Oh, Hop and Brew school at Hop Union in Yakima is taking registrations now.  I went last year and highly recommend it.  I'm not connected to them in any way)

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge