Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Homebrew Competition Presentation  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
NHC Homebrew Competition Presentation
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:11 am »
Hi all.  Below is a link to the presentation Brian and I did in Grand Rapids last week.  The AHA will eventually post the presentation with the audio but I thought it might be a good idea to post the presentation here and generate some discussion.  I'm sure there will be some agreeing and disagreeing.  All I ask is that we keep it clean and productive.    :D

http://www.bbbrew.com/downloads/2014NHCHomebrewCompetitionPresentation.pdf
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: NHC Homebrew Competition Presentation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:46 pm »
Thank you!  I attended and really learned a lot, and enjoyed it.  It really tempers the overly optimistic and avoids embarrassment.  Nice job!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:35:38 am »
Thanks.  Will this help me win a medal in the Midwinter comp?  It's one of the comps that I enter regularly that I have not won a medal at!! :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:58:48 am »
Glad you enjoyed the presentation.  I thought a few folks would challenge me on some of the items in there but so far nothing. 

It hasn't helped me win a medal at Midwinter or German Fest  ??? so I'm doubting it will help others.   :D
BJCP Education Director

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37:05 am »
We really liked your idea about 3 shorter judging sessions instead of two longer ones.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:19:31 am »
We found that the three per a day works really well.  Our first year we tried four on a Friday night so judges had a shot at getting three sessions in and it was a disaster.  The day was really long and it sucked the life out of the organizing staff. 

We couldn't go this in depth during the presentation but there is a copy of the judging schedule for this past year.  It shows how we did the early week night session (to kick out the cobwebs), scheduled three sessions per a day on Friday and Saturday, and how we scheduled flights (so not to blow out palates).  Please pay no attention to the number of Stewards per a table.  That's a combo of Stewards and beer runners.

http://www.bbbrew.com/downloads/2014MidwinterTableSchedule.pdf

One thing that we failed to point out, we usually throw in some sort of incentive for those that volunteer to judge or work three sessions.  Check out our Volunteer page under Beer & Mead Paired Dinner (scroll down).  We knew we would normally have to feed folks so we took the money we normally would have budgeted for that meal and turned it into an incentive.  http://midwinterhbc.com/volunteers  Attendees still had to kick in $35 for the meal, but everyone felt it was well worth it.  We even got some folks to sign up as Stewards and Office Staff just so they could get the discount.  FYI - The Sprecher APA and the MKE Baltic Porter got changed out at the last minute with Central Waters Hop Rise and Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout respectively.  Folks were taking the ice cream that came with the deep fried apple pie and were making stout floats. 
BJCP Education Director

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:36 am »
I have suggested 3 flights on a Saturday to a couple organizers, but am always told "that's too much work" by said organizer.  If done properly, I really don't think it is, and the judges are simply better when they are not enduring the 12+ beer flights.

anyway, Brian/Bruce do a nice job and I'd be happy to judge one of their competitions again anytime.

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »
Any thoughts on a new completion starting and putting boundaries on number of entries or styles - even if have enough volunteers -  just ensure first one gets well executed? 

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:11 pm »
How many judges do you think you can get? Also how many Sessions are you planning for Friday and Saturday?
BJCP Education Director

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »
I have suggested 3 flights on a Saturday to a couple organizers, but am always told "that's too much work" by said organizer.  If done properly, I really don't think it is, and the judges are simply better when they are not enduring the 12+ beer flights.

anyway, Brian/Bruce do a nice job and I'd be happy to judge one of their competitions again anytime.
Right. Two 12 beer flights vs three 8 beer flights is the same number of beers per judge. I've noticed that after 8 socializing and chit chat increase, slowing down judging. Judges are just looking for relief at that point.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »
How many judges do you think you can get? Also how many Sessions are you planning for Friday and Saturday?

Planning 1 session with 30 judges, so assume 15 tables with worse case 10 beers per flight would be 150 max.

Really trying control as much as possible to ensure first one goes off smooth, so if we get 150 entries and it goes perfect, we happy.

Part of an event were we have to be done at set time for an awards ceremony.

Thoughts?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »

Planning 1 session with 30 judges, so assume 15 tables with worse case 10 beers per flight would be 150 max.

Really trying control as much as possible to ensure first one goes off smooth, so if we get 150 entries and it goes perfect, we happy.

Thoughts?
Are you SURE you can get 30 judges at one time? I would always plan for more sessions than you need.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:28 pm »

Thoughts?

30 judges for 150 entries should be enough but doing it in one single shot is what might make it tricky.

Few things come to mind:
  • What Amanda said.  There are always a few that don't show or cancel shortly before.  Count on it.
  • Also consider that you will probably not have flights that are divided by 10 so if you have a flight of 25 entries you'll have to make a choice of assigning 2 sets of judges (13 & 12) or 3 sets (9, 8, & 8 ).
  • I'm assuming that you'll have to do a Best of Show flight at the end.  Make sure the BoS judges are not on a judging flight of with more than 8 entries otherwise they will be fried for BoS.

If you're tight for time on the judging day I'd suggest doing a couple of flights on a week night at someone's home.  That should help you knock out 20 to 30 entries and help to take the pressure off a bit.

Aside from judging, if you haven't already recruit someone to compile the scores as the flights conclude and the sheets come in.  Get someone to stuff the score sheets in envelopes as well.  That will help with your turn around time before the awards ceremony and the entrants at the ceremony can get their sheets right away (which saves on postage).
BJCP Education Director