Author Topic: Blending. Again.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
Blending. Again.
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
I have a bunch of Double-Bock that is far too sweet and not nearly bitter enough. It's not really drinkable if only one glass is enough, right? :( I've been blending this cloying nightmare with Miller Lite at 8:1 or 1/4 cup per 16oz can. I can't think of a blanker canvas...

Great taste. And less filling.

A nice passable amber lager with a light feel. Actually quite good.

Roughly estimating at the above ratio, I'll need a little over five hundred 16oz cans of Lite to get rid of the Double-Bock. Any ideas? I'm considering raising the bitterness somehow...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Blending. Again.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
How about a German Pils hopped to the high end of the range? That might blend down to Maerzen range with the doppelbock.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Is it kegged?  Would you want to de-gas it and blend it into an actively fermenting beer?

I imagine you could ferment out some of that sweetness, but this may be too much handling.

Use it for sauce when you cook.  I bet it would be great cooked down into a glaze.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Makes great bread. Might do some sort of sauce or even a carbonade.

Blending wise, I'm considering an over-attenuated small beer with a considerable hop-profile- maybe just an extreme bittering charge...?

Or a massive keg dry hop? A referment makes me uneasy. This was brewed 01/02/14 and has been lagering since.

The Lite is tolerating a 2:1 blend but the sweetness starts showing and it tastes a bit like malt-liquor at that point. ::)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
I had a barley wine that was a bit too much and it was all I had on tap for a while. I blended with plain ol' soda water 1:1 or 2:1 beer to water for a decent ordinary bitter experience.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
I've tried the 1:1 with club soda and am tasting it right now. Kinda soda-pop-ish-esque result. Interesting. Hard carbonation but the sweet finish lingers on and on. I can almost taste the discrete malts and some esters reveal themselves.

The 2:1 is next.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
I suggest blue food coloring, calling it Romulan Ale and selling it on eBay for two strips gold pressed latinum.

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Make a saison with just base malt and add some dopplebock as a substitute for Munich to the fermenting saison?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
It would be a great candidate for making a sour doppelbock.

Otherwise I would brew the same recipe with a lower gravity, mashed very low and higher bittering and blend it in.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
The 2:1 club soda blend didn't please me either. :-\

The Saison idea is interesting and so is the concept of turning it into a bugged beer. I could do that in the keg right? Don't own any carboys and no plans to invest in them!

There's lot's of possibilities. I could add some to a batch of hefe and get a dunkel perhaps?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
I'd make an extra bitter dunkel and blend together into a smaller bock, but I'm crazy like that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Or blended into a hefe, it'd have to be in the neighborhood of weizenbock.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
Or I could try the roeselare yeast... ;)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
Have you considered just boiling up a hop tea using water and hops to get a super bitter concentrate and adding that directly to the keg?

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »
I suggest blue food coloring, calling it Romulan Ale and selling it on eBay for two strips gold pressed latinum.

I'd buy that.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...