Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NA Beer  (Read 4401 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: NA Beer
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »
I don't think you will get only 60% AA with american ale yeast mashed at 158. not sure how you WOULD get that low attenuation numbers. maybe mash at 162 and add some maltodextrin to get your 1.029. not sure it would work though.
I wasn't sure about that. Maybe the OP needs to find a different yeast.

I don't know if it will get you the flavor profile you want, but a wine yeast will attenuate in the 40-60% range with malt. You could also try Campden to stop the yeast when it gets where you want. Not sure if you'll end up with a worty, sweet beer if you do that.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RevLeonidas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

I wasn't sure about that. Maybe the OP needs to find a different yeast.
[/quote]

...now this is a completely different topic all together; microbiology, mathematics, and finance are all areas where our "expertise" makes us look like complete jackasses!

To further wander off-topic:
For what it's worth (FWIW) in the past I have made light American lagers and premium American lagers for dad, and he's liked 'em just fine; I got room in my lagering "freezer" now too, but the NA recipe would have made beer available in 5 weeks or less; when I concluded that I can not make a NA beer, I want to do something that will be ready to drink in 5 weeks or less anyway; this is why I scribbled down that quick grain bill for a cream ale, or a blonde ale.

Another FWIW, there are other ways to increase "maltiness," or "sweetness" in aroma in flavor other than 156F (69C)+ mash temperatures; for example, pre-boiling 1/2 gallon of water off-of my first gallon of wort: maillard nirvana!

Regarding yeast, in the past I've had good attenuation with lower gravity beers <1.040 with Wyeast British Ale 1098; if you've made a starter, you likely know that healthy yeast will ferment worts below SG: 1.020.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:15:21 pm by RevLeonidas »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »
A lot of yeasts claim 60-70% attenuation. I would start with one of those. WLP002 is 63-70%. I would start there and aim for the 1029, 1010, 2.5% beer. That one needs 66% attenuation.

WLP002 supposedly ferments clean if the temp is kept low. Other posters can tell you how low you need to go.

Lots of people are complaining about Mangrove Jacks low attenuation but like the taste. Maybe you should try one of those.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 05:06:36 pm »
According to a few posts, sounds like the Mangrove Jack's strains get surprisingly low attenuation, like in the 60's.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »
What if someone tried a 1.020 OG beer made with 50% pils and 50% carapils? Heck, I might even try it for grins.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 05:17:06 pm »
I would buy a couple of cases of Odouls, pour them into a keg, then add a pound each of crystal malt and biscuit malt in a grain bag to it, as well as some dry hops.  Steep for a day, pull the grain, then pull the dry hops after another couple of days.

Then it would taste like homebrew, and your dad will think you are a friggin' genius.  :D

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
NA Beer
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:11 pm »
What if someone tried a 1.020 OG beer made with 50% pils and 50% carapils? Heck, I might even try it for grins.
I think you are going right direction.
You need to make very unfermentable low OG wort.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:24:00 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 05:02:05 am »
I think you are going right direction.
You need to make very unfermentable low OG wort.
I made a 3.5% brown ale last fall using almost 50% specialty malts. I started with a surly bender clone recipe and just removed base malt to reduce abv. It worked out really well.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958