Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An ale that tastes like a lger?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
An ale that tastes like a lger?
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:08:32 pm »
I'm looking for a recipe for an American Light Lager that can be brewed and then fermented with ale yeast at ale temperatures.  Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: An ale that tastes like a lger?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:18:21 pm »
Yes....I have heard of such a thing.  It's called CREAM ALE.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6089.0

You can use WY1007 German ale yeast for this.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
But to really be successful, you need to ferment it at pretty low temps and be able to cold condition it when it's done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:49:02 pm »
Haha. Newbs, like me.  I guess I should read the style guidelines.  :)
Thanks!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 03:56:26 pm »
Or steam beer. But cooler than average fermentation is still better.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »
+1 to cream ale, done cool and cold conditioned.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
The important parts are as Denny mentioned. You still need strict time temp control. You still need to lager at close to freezing temps for a period of time. But WY1007 at, say, 56 degrees makes as close a lager as you can get with an ale yeast. And you could probably pull it off with WY1056 at very low 60s. Otherwise - ain't gonna get nothin' like a lager.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:49 pm »
How low can you maintain, temperature-wise? Some lager yeasts will stay pretty clean up to 60ish. WY2124, 34/70, and WY2007 all come to mind. The key is to pitch a crap load of yeast, and pitch at as low of a temp as you can manage. Like close to 40F, if you can manage it. You can go through the lager phase in the bottle if you don't have a way to cold condition in the fermenter.

You can certainly brew a lager-type ale, but it's still going to taste like an ale. Although lager yeasts are noted for clean fermentations, they still have a distinct flavor profile.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »
[quote author=erockrph link=topic=19471.msg248169#msg248169 date=1401679129

You can certainly brew a lager-type ale, but it's still going to taste like an ale. Although lager yeasts are noted for clean fermentations, they still have a distinct flavor profile.
[/quote]

Agreed. Lager and Ale yeast just taste different. You can have a "clean" ferment from either one and they will give a different flavor profile. If you want something to taste like a lager, use a lager yeast and ferment it at the right temperature. If you want to brew a beer with an ale yeast but you want to hide some of the ale features, use wy1056 or an equivalent and start fermentation around 60 degrees. It won't taste like a lager, but it will hide some ale-like qualities.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:14 am »
I agree with these guys 100%, but I will add two points. Wy1007 is so close when handled properly that you can fool some seasoned beer drinkers.

And Chico strain (wy1056/wlp001/us05) can be very clean even in the high 60s. It won't be a lager, but it will be the closest you can get, and if that's all you can do if say go that route.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »
I brew a blonde ale, fermenting with WLP-001 at 60F then lager for a month. Macrobrew lager drinkers swear by it - I think that's a compliment  :o

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »
I brew a blonde ale, fermenting with WLP-001 at 60F then lager for a month. Macrobrew lager drinkers swear by it - I think that's a compliment  :o

Yep, 1056 @ 60F and especially cold conditioned afterward is very clean, surprisingly so.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 05:13:28 pm »
Can't go wrong with the Blonde at 60-62. I did that using WLP051 Cali V, which is just as clean as 001, but leaves some residual sugar. I also think a California Common (AKA - Steam beer) or a Cream Ale would prove to your liking. I'd even consider using Wy2112 California Lager or Wy2565 Kolsch, while following the kolsch, cream ale, or common beer guidelines.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"