Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 hop gardens  (Read 4582 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
2014 hop gardens
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:44:28 pm »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I probably will have the first hop crop this year.  My Cascades are only 6' tall but I already have lots of burrs growing.

The rest of the garden is coming along slowly but surely.  I have 3 new Fuggles, one neomexicanus, one Amilla, and 3 Centennials growing along with 12 mature and 6 new Cascades.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
Re: 2014 hop gardens
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »
That's awesome!  I really want to try my hand at growing hops, but I have 2 unfortunate factors working against me.  I'm in GA and I live in a townhome  :-\ I am hoping that my LHS still has rhizomes because I was at least going to do 2 in large pots on my back deck, but I have a feeling the heat is going to stress the crap out of them
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
Does the electric fence help stimulate the growth :)

Mine are barely 3 inches tall but they were under snow not that long ago.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:41:38 pm »

No, but it's cheap and it lasts forever.  There's not much twine or string that can stand a whole year of our wind.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 05:09:21 am »

I am new to growing hops, but mine took off like a rocket compared to last year.  Should I be concerned or am I just going to have an early crop?

-Tony

-Tony

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:34 pm »
I just got two rhizomes, one chinook and one centennial about a month ago and they are just sprouting out of the ground. I know I probably won't get much this year but I would like to see them grow just for the fun of it. To the person that lives in a townhome, so do I and I just got two big buckets, filled them with dirt and planted them. I bought 12 foot long 1"x2" pieces of wood and some eye hooks and have the string falling down from there. So far it hasn't taken up to much space but I will find out when they start getting big.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:46 am »
My centennial died. Cascade was slow but coming along. Willamette doing great.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:10 am »

I am new to growing hops, but mine took off like a rocket compared to last year.  Should I be concerned or am I just going to have an early crop?

-Tony

No concern at all! You have a much more established root system. You may get an early crop, but I have found hops to have a pretty predictable harvest time, which I believe is more related to the amount of sunlight the plant is getting. You should get a bigger harvest this year though!
Kyle M.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:27:29 am »

No, but it's cheap and it lasts forever.  There's not much twine or string that can stand a whole year of our wind.

I have found using material that last forever is a PITA in the fall when harvesting.  I use coir yarn from the Farmer's Supply in Yakima.  Just cut down, harvest your hops, and compost it all together. 

http://www.growerssupply.net/index.cfm?id=8&group_id=twi2226

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
My centennial died. Cascade was slow but coming along. Willamette doing great.

RIP

None of my 3 plants made it through the winter. They're in containers and I suspect it's because I didn't pull them under the deck/against the house when we had our extended, brutal cold snap this winter. I'm honestly not sure if I will replant again. I was growing them as a trial run to see whether it was going to be worth my while to do something a bit more permanent with them, but they never did as well as I had hoped. And since I have about 20 pounds and 30-40 varieties of hops in my freezer at any given time, it's not like I was ever going to become self-sufficient on my hops addiction...

In the meantime, I will brew some kickass IPA in their memory.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:56 am »

-Tony

No concern at all! You have a much more established root system. You may get an early crop, but I have found hops to have a pretty predictable harvest time, which I believe is more related to the amount of sunlight the plant is getting. You should get a bigger harvest this year though!

I find that the amount of sunlight, rain, and temperature in the summer can swing the pick dates by a couple of weeks. Last year the European varieties were ready to be picked around August 10. Most years they are on a little before Labor Day. Some other varieties can be done a week or two after Labor Day, but sometimes it is almost Oct. I have come to think that they are ready when they are ready.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

I have found using material that last forever is a PITA in the fall when harvesting.  I use coir yarn from the Farmer's Supply in Yakima.  Just cut down, harvest your hops, and compost it all together. 

http://www.growerssupply.net/index.cfm?id=8&group_id=twi2226

I've tried it but it won't last a whole season down here. I harvest my hops all summer, pretty much continuously so I don't have a fixed harvest.  I picked about a quart of ripe cones today, and I have burrs and more cones on all 12 mature Cascade bines.  Once they start producing I can pick at least once a week or probably a lot more this year.  So I need the string to last the whole season.