Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who coined the term flameout?  (Read 4823 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Who coined the term flameout?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »
The term "flameout" was definitely in general use by 2007. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »
Okay, who was the first amateur brewer to generalize the term "dough-in?"  Most amateur brewers today use the term without realizing that a dough-in is a specific type of mash-in.   Mash-in still appears to be the term of choice in the professional brewing and distilled spirits worlds.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 02:50:23 pm »
I have to wonder about using the term knock out for a term indicating the end of a boil. To me, knock out is when you knock the plug out of the tun and start the run off. Flame out is very descriptive, although I now need to use the term 'power off'.

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 02:50:39 pm »
Okay, who was the first amateur brewer to generalize the term "dough-in?"  Most amateur brewers today use the term without realizing that a dough-in is a specific type of mash-in.   Mash-in still appears to be the term of choice in the professional brewing and distilled spirits worlds.

I rarely see homebrwers use dough-in. sometimes for sure. I certainly think of a very thick first step in a complicated step mash when I hear dough-in. Mash-In is the term I and most of the homebrewers I know use.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »

If I use any jargon here it would be mash-in. Most of the time I say "add the grains"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »

I don't think it has been generalized.  Most homebrewers I know or hear speak say "mash in".  A few misuse the term "dough in", but "mash in" is much more common.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:06 pm »
for what it's worth, my 3 year old says mash-in. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
I rarely see homebrwers use dough-in. sometimes for sure. I certainly think of a very thick first step in a complicated step mash when I hear dough-in. Mash-In is the term I and most of the homebrewers I know use.

The term is used all of the time on a large home brewing forum.   However, then again, many threads on that forum make me scratch my head.

With that said, the AHA forum is different.  It is the most civil, knowledgeable, and inclusive amateur-level brewing forum on the Internet. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »
for what it's worth, my 3 year old says mash-in. ;D

My kids say, "You're not brewing again?"   They do not care for the smell of mash let alone the smell of boiling hopped wort.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »

The term is used all of the time on a large home brewing forum.   However, then again, many threads on that forum make me scratch my head.

With that said, the AHA forum is different.  It is the most civil, knowledgeable, and inclusive amateur-level brewing forum on the Internet.

Couldn't agree more!  Especially the last point.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
Since the time period you're talking about also parallels the time when internet access became widely available, I'm wondering if we're seeing regional terms spreading across the country rather than the birth of new lingo. We certainly have plenty of regional terms for things.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:31 pm »
Since the time period you're talking about also parallels the time when internet access became widely available, I'm wondering if we're seeing regional terms spreading across the country rather than the birth of new lingo. We certainly have plenty of regional terms for things.

Makes good sense. The emergence of the net being widely used coincides when I remember seeing the term used.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
Reminds me, in about 1988 I got a promotion because I was the only one at the company who knew how to get the new PC to boot up.

So, who first ivented boot up? It doesn't even have feet much less footwear.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »
Ah man. Remember boot disks?

Wait, this isn't the tangents thread.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:49 pm »
I say dough in.... :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis