Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lost track of ABV  (Read 3016 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lost track of ABV
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:30 am »
Seems high  :-\...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.

There are 13 gr. of sugar in one cup of cherries.  I assume Drew extrapolated from there.

at that rate a gallon of cherries would only contain about .5 lb sugar or, if the sugar was perfectly extracted, about 23 ppg.

I'll have to ask him where he got that number....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 11:21:48 am »
According to research we did for the book, sweet cherries have about 79 ppg and sour about 65 ppg.

What is ppg?

Points/lb./gal.  The number of gravity points you get from one lb. in one gallon.

Seems high  :-\ ...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.
Sucrose is 46 points per pound per gallon, or the points yielded by dissolving one pound into one gallon of water. 2row would be the same I think. ppg only works for liquids. Although the abbreviations may get mixed up, I don't know.

I know this to be fact; I read it on the internet.

I believe technically its the SG when one pound of a fermentable is diluted to a total volume of 1 gallon. The SG of a solution made from 1lb of cherries topped up with enough water to make one gallon of solution is the ppg.
OK, I was misreading Denny's post a bit. BUT - there is no way that whole cherries have a 79 points/lb/gal. That would mean 5lbs of cherries in 5 gallons of water would have an SG of 1.079 - no way. We'd all be making cheap cherry wine. But 79 points per gallon would be similar to 20 brix / 1.083 SG.

But I've been seeing ppg used for liquids and juices - points per gallon, and pppg used for solids - points/lb/gallon.

And yes, the gallon is the final volume.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:31 am »
My estimate of 1% accounted for the late brett addition and the fruit, assuming the original beer was going to have an FG of 1.010-1.012 before the brett and fruit.

Give the brett 2-3 months to finish.  FG should be 1.004 or less.