Author Topic: Lost track of ABV  (Read 551 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Lost track of ABV
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »
I brewed a beer and 3 months later added 3lbs of cherries and a brett strain.  What would this add to a beer's abv?  My only reading is my OG and I haven't taken any others along the way.  Ballpark figure, or a rough idea of how I could get a more accurate reading in the end??
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Lost track of ABV
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Approximately 1%.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »
Probably not much really. Fruit adds sugar but also volume. Often the added volume makes the result close to zero or sometimes it's even negative. You could guesstimate by converting the brix of cherry juice and guessing how much juice is in 3lbs. Convert brix to SG and calculate a weighted average.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »
That's actually quite good to know! Thanks man. I learned something new today...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:32:25 AM »
Now that I'm on a computer I can type this out.

I asked the internet, and it says that sweet cherries have a brix ~20 (SG = 1.083), tart cherries are ~13 (SG = 1.053), and that 3lbs of cherries contain 1.25 quarts of juice. So you can see that sweet cherries will probably raise OG of most beers, though probably only a little. However, tart cherries added to a beer with OG > 1.05 will actually lower OG.

Calculate a 'revised' OG from this formula.

(Wort OG * Wort Volume) + (Juice OG * Juice Volume)
-------------------------------------------------------------      =     New OG of Wort + Juice
                  (Wort Volume + Juice Volume)

For example - tart cherry juice added to 5 gallons of 1.070 OG beer.

(1.070 * 20 quarts) + (1.053 * 1.25 quarts)         21.4 + 1.32
-------------------------------------------------    =   --------------   =  1.069
                     21.25 quarts                                      21.25
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:36:36 AM by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
I'd call the cherries a wash for all practical purposes. I'd be more concerned with how far down the Brett takes it. I'd just take a gravity now and use your original OG measurement for calculating your ABV.  ABV equations are just estimates anyways, so this will get you close enough.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
According to research we did for the book, sweet cherries have about 79 ppg and sour about 65 ppg.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
According to research we did for the book, sweet cherries have about 79 ppg and sour about 65 ppg.

What is ppg?
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:45 AM »

What is ppg?

Points/lb./gal.  The number of gravity points you get from one lb. in one gallon.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »

What is ppg?

Points/lb./gal.  The number of gravity points you get from one lb. in one gallon.

Seems high  :-\...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »

What is ppg?

Seems high  :-\ ...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.
Sucrose is 46 points per pound per gallon, or the points yielded by dissolving one pound into one gallon of water. 2row would be the same I think. ppg only works for liquids. Although the abbreviations may get mixed up, I don't know.

I know this to be fact; I read it on the internet.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
Seems high  :-\...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.

There are 13 gr. of sugar in one cup of cherries.  I assume Drew extrapolated from there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
There are 13 gr. of sugar in one cup of cherries.  I assume Drew extrapolated from there.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »

What is ppg?

Seems high  :-\ ...because as a comparative measure regular 2-row lends roughly 35 ppg, corn is about 36 ppg and sucrose (table sugar) is 46 ppg.
Sucrose is 46 points per pound per gallon, or the points yielded by dissolving one pound into one gallon of water. 2row would be the same I think. ppg only works for liquids. Although the abbreviations may get mixed up, I don't know.

I know this to be fact; I read it on the internet.

I believe technically its the SG when one pound of a fermentable is diluted to a total volume of 1 gallon. The SG of a solution made from 1lb of cherries topped up with enough water to make one gallon of solution is the ppg.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »

at that rate a gallon of cherries would only contain about .5 lb sugar or, if the sugar was perfectly extracted, about 23 ppg.