Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: batch sparge process/volumes  (Read 3032 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: batch sparge process/volumes
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
Tannins from sparging can be from a high sparge water pH or from sparge water that is too hot or both.  I sparge with 175F water always.  The mash pH is 5.0-5.5.  The sparge water pH is 5.5.

Not sure where tannins from mashing occur, but I mash at 1.5qts/lb.  Tannins have never been a problem for me.

Water temp plays almost no role in tannin extraction.  It's all about pH.  Ever heard of a decoction mash, where you boil the grain?  That's obviously significantly hotter than 170, but you don't get tannins because the pH is low enough to be safe.

There are plenty of books written by brewing scientists and pro brewers that don't agree with your assertion.  Their consensus is tannins are more soluble at sparge temperatures above 170F and more tannins are extracted at higher temperatures.

That doesn't mean a tasty beer can't be made using hotter sparge water.  Taste is subjective.  Every beer has tannins.  Some beers have a lot more than others and still taste good.  Some lambic brewers sparge with 200F water, but they are considerably more tannic than a typical American pale ale.

I agree that a high pH is more problematic than a high sparge temperature.

So, you're telling me you don't believe decoction doesn't ruin your beer?  I don't really care what any "expert" says if it contradicts my own experimentation and experience.  FWIW, I agree that a high temp can be problematic, but ONLY if your pH is too high.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: batch sparge process/volumes
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 11:42:31 am »
At some point this is like arguing that speed caused the collision... speed might increase the damage but if speed caused collisions no one would ever win the Indy 500 unless they were the last car on the track.