Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Burst Ideas  (Read 3577 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hop Burst Ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 07:38:02 pm »
Did you chill before adding the steeped hops?  Can you post your recipe and process?

No, I added all the hops in the last 5 minutes then let it steep covered for 4 hours.  It was at 142F when I got home and chilled it. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:41 pm »
You added 17oz. of C hops @ 5 and let it free cool for 4 hours?  Wow!  I want to know what that tastes like.  You will get bitterness, flavor and aroma even below temperatures where isomerization occurs.  Science hasn't identified what you have done.

Please let us know what happens.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:15:34 pm by Kinetic »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »

Good on you, Dave!

How many gallons, by the way?

FWIW, I typically do 90 minute hop stands for my hop juice IPA's. I read something somewhere saying that 80 minutes allegedly gives you the most hop character from a hop stand, so that's where I got that from. I'm not sure how much the hops have left to give up after that, but I doubt it's going to hurt by going longer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 04:48:00 am »
LOL.  10 Gallons.
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:42 am »
OK boys, for my next trick I just added the rest of last year's harvest.  3.4 oz of Cascade, 1.6 oz of Chinook and .6 oz of Tetnanger.  The tets smelled amazing I must add.  Put them in 5G so good experiment versus the non-dry hopped 5G.  You guys should seriously consider a trip to Philly to taste this one!   :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 09:48:54 pm »
OK boys, for my next trick I just added the rest of last year's harvest.  3.4 oz of Cascade, 1.6 oz of Chinook and .6 oz of Tetnanger.  The tets smelled amazing I must add.  Put them in 5G so good experiment versus the non-dry hopped 5G.  You guys should seriously consider a trip to Philly to taste this one!   :)

Dave

Throw in a "Whiz wit" from Pat's and I may be convinced :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:40:46 am »
DONE!
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »
Well, I decided to put it on green.  15 days in primary and 4 days in the keg.  Two words:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Amazing hop flavor, aroma and just enough bitterness to make it work.

Can't wait to do this one again after this year's harvest.

Dave

EDIT: I must add that since they were all homegrown, they taste that much better.  Not sure if it really made a difference, but freezing them right off the dehydrator was a bonus, IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:33:05 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 05:28:48 pm »
Well, I decided to put it on green.  15 days in primary and 4 days in the keg.  Two words:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Amazing hop flavor, aroma and just enough bitterness to make it work.

Can't wait to do this one again after this year's harvest.

Dave

EDIT: I must add that since they were all homegrown, they taste that much better.  Not sure if it really made a difference, but freezing them right off the dehydrator was a bonus, IMHO.

Well done. Sounds great, Dave !
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:48 am »
When hop bursting I like the flavor I get when adding hops at FWH, 5, 1 and flameout, followed by a 45-minute hopstand for a 8 - 10% increase in calculated IBUs.  I simply shut off the kettle and stir every 2-3 minutes for the 45 minutes, kettle otherwise with lid on.  I have chilled down to 180F first, but usually keep it simple.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:15 am »
Well, I was not the only one that thought the beer was crazy good.  I brought 2 growlers to my neighborhood pool opening party where we also had a keg of SNPA.  The growlers went in 15 minutes.  My one buddy said, "It's a weird day when I'm filling up my glass with SNPA wishing there was more of your IPA around..... :D
Dave Zach