Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watermelon Quad????  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Rief Artisan Ales

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing beer with love for the love of beer
Watermelon Quad????
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:31 pm »
I'm looking for opinions on using watermelon in a Belgian style quad recipe.  Do you think the flavor of the watermelon will be overwhelmed/muted ?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Watermelon Quad????
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
It will take a large load of watermelon. Email 21st amendment in sf and see how they make their "hell or high watermelon."

http://21st-amendment.com/beers/hell-or-high-watermelon/

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:51:17 pm »
Maybe in a big blonde, the thought of mellon on a dark belgian seems to clash in my mind.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:57:34 am »
Maybe in a big blonde, the thought of mellon on a dark belgian seems to clash in my mind.

+1.  And I don't think it's assertive (or acidic ) enough to be very noticeable in a beer that big. I could be wrong.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:58 am »
I think you'll need to use an extract to get this to work. Then you can dose it to taste before bottling/kegging.

Or you could just dry hop with El Dorado...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:08 am »
It takes a metric buttload of watermelon to even be noticeable in a light flavored beer.  I think for a quad you'll need a metric buttload squared.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:33:18 am »
I think you'll need to use an extract to get this to work. Then you can dose it to taste before bottling/kegging.

I don't know, the above mentioned Hell or High Watermelon has noticeable watermelon flavor and aroma and is made with watermelon juice rather than extract.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:42 am »

I don't know, the above mentioned Hell or High Watermelon has noticeable watermelon flavor and aroma and is made with watermelon juice rather than extract.

Yes...and as I recall Shawn from 21st Amendment said that it takes one hellava a lot of watermelon for their wheat beer.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:47:01 am »

Yes...and as I recall Shawn from 21st Amendment said that it takes one hellava a lot of watermelon for their wheat beer.

yup,

As I understand it they started out actually doing the juicing there but soon decided to buy watermelon juice or puree.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:01:35 am »

Right, but there's a huge difference between a light wheat beer, and a big Belgian with significant yeast and malt character. You may be right, but I don't know how you'd pull it off in a quad. If you add it post-boil or post-ferment, then you're going to dilute the beer down too far. If you use it for your brewing liquor I'd be afraid of boiling off all the aromatics from the juice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 11:03:25 am »
Right, but there's a huge difference between a light wheat beer, and a big Belgian with significant yeast and malt character. You may be right, but I don't know how you'd pull it off in a quad. If you add it post-boil or post-ferment, then you're going to dilute the beer down too far. If you use it for your brewing liquor I'd be afraid of boiling off all the aromatics from the juice.

Exactly!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:06:43 am »

+1.  A wheat is almost a blank canvas for fruit, but I don't think it would be very apparent in a quad. And IMO that could be a good thing - doesn't sound like a good marriage. You never know.     ;)
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:08:22 am »

makes sense.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce