Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maris otter in stout  (Read 4431 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
maris otter in stout
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:49:39 pm »
Hi! i am planning to do a stout (OG 1080) with this malt bill soon:

80% maris otter
11% rye malt
3% cararye
3% midnight wheat
3% roasted barley

I have done this recipe before using 2h as base malt, mashing at 146ºF for 60 minutes and step it at 161ºF for 20 minutes for a very fermentable wort. This is the first time using MO, i have readed that MO is very good only for single infusion. steping at 146-161 will only carry me problems at lautern creating a very sticky grist? a 154ºF single infusion for 60 minutes would be better? can MO will convert the other grains in the grist? someone told me it has very low diastatic power...

thanks for your advises guys :)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: maris otter in stout
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »
Most base malt nowadays is fully modified and can be brewed with single infusion mashes including Maris otter.  step mashes can be used if you are looking to increase fermentabilty or enhance clarity of your wort.  Maris otter has enough diastatic power to convert all of your other grains in your bill.  Depending on how dry you want your beer to be you can mash that Maris otter at your desired temps with no ill effects (even at 146F).

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:05 am »
I've used Maris Otter in almost every mash schedule out there and never gotten stuck.

That seems like a really low amount of roasted barley for a stout.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:01:20 am »
I've used Maris Otter in almost every mash schedule out there and never gotten stuck.

Yes :) im planning to add a shot of coffee at secondary

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:52:23 am »

even so, that looks way too low for a stout, especially one at 1.080.  I use ~ 16% dark roasted grains at 1.070.  YMMV
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »

even so, that looks way too low for a stout, especially one at 1.080.  I use ~ 16% dark roasted grains at 1.070.  YMMV

Agree. The Maris Otter is fine. Perhaps preferred. But you have no where near the roasted barley you need to brew a stout. Even with coffee or espresso.

And when adding the coffee or espresso, consider adding whole crushed beans to a secondary, or doing a combination of strong coffee and "dry bean".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:53:21 pm by majorvices »

Offline Don Deckert

• 1st Kit
    • Tundrastar Siberians
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:37 am »
And when adding the coffee or espresso, consider adding whole crushed beans to a secondary, or doing a combination of strong coffee and "dry bean".

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "whole crushed beans" I'm as much a coffee snob as I am a beer snob, and "whole" and "crushed" have never been in the same sentence that I'm aware of.
I like beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "whole crushed beans" I'm as much a coffee snob as I am a beer snob, and "whole" and "crushed" have never been in the same sentence that I'm aware of.

Course, Fresh ground. Sorry for the err in semantics.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:10:51 am »

To give another experience point, I had one bag of Crisp MO that stuck every time, even for single infusion ordinary bitter will a low amount of grist in the mash ton. I thought it was my process until I got a new bag. A very accomplished pro said that he finds that MO can be sticky.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:37:02 am »

Course, Fresh ground. Sorry for the err in semantics.

When I hear about it at Homebrew Club or otherwise, it is usually taking whole bean coffee, and just lightly crushing it into big pieces, rather than grinding it like you would for coffee. makes it easier to filter out, and the alcohol seems to do fine with the very coarse crush.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 10:40:35 am »
When I hear about it at Homebrew Club or otherwise, it is usually taking whole bean coffee, and just lightly crushing it into big pieces, rather than grinding it like you would for coffee. makes it easier to filter out, and the alcohol seems to do fine with the very coarse crush.

Yeah, that's the way I do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:10 am »

Its the next method on my list for coffee flavor. Probably will do a Coffee Stout this fall. So far, I have done straight espresso (1 shot per pint, in the bottle at bottling) and cold brewed. Cold brewed has been my favorite so far, but I would like a bit more aroma than I got out of the cold brewed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 10:44:02 am »

+2. Same here. It doesn't leave sediment that way, and using it in keg I think the alcohol extracts really nice flavor. It's cold steeping in beer.
Jon H.