Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First partial grain - pellet hops  (Read 1640 times)

Offline gravityspiral

• 1st Kit
First partial grain - pellet hops
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
Hello all,

I'm looking forward to contributing once I know more but for now I have a question.  I put my first brew in over the weekend that involved steeping some specialty grains, then adding hops to the extract boil. It ended up being Fuggle hops pellets; I did not however filter these out after the 60 minute boil, and now my krausen has lots of hops on top of it, and the CO2 coming out of the airlock has a distinct hoppy aroma.

Is this going to have any major ramifications to the beer? It is a Nut Brown Ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: First partial grain - pellet hops
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:16:15 pm »
nope, it'll be fine. The only draw back is a greater amount of trub in the bottom of the fermenter which can make racking to the bottling bucket cleanly a little trickier but not much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »
+1.  No worries.  The hops will sink to the bottom of the fermenter along with your yeast over time. 

Offline happywanderer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:42:51 pm »
In the future, if you want less crap/sediment/trub in the fermenter, you can use a hop sock (hop filter bag).  I've got 3 or 4 of the things.  Great for keeping hops out of the bucket.

I also pour the wort into the fermenter through a fine metal mesh strainer.  I find I get far less trub and much cleaner yeast cake (if you are into yeast washing).