Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mandarina hop  (Read 6048 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Mandarina hop
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:26 am »
Well, you have me intrigued Denny.  I'm definitely going to try them out.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 11:01:18 am »
You know, I can't help thinking that this farmer (and others in his situation) would pay handsomely for a brewer to categorically prove that the mandarin flavor is good, and the onion/garlic thing can be avoided, and how it can be accomplished.

The point is, this (quite large) field is costing him a lot of money being out of production, and it will take even more money to re-trellis it for another variety. 

C'mon lottery!  Daddy needs a hop research lab.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 12:03:13 pm »
Washington grew more than 5 million pounds of Summit last year.  It's the 4th highest volume hop grown in WA. 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »
Washington grew more than 5 million pounds of Summit last year.  It's the 4th highest volume hop grown in WA.

Wow.  I had no idea.  I also just learned that because it is a dwarf variety grown on low trellises it has to be hand picked.  So cost of production may be the biggest factor in the above fallow field.

I still want a hop laboratory.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »
I think you should proceed with your original recipe.  1oz. of summit won't be an onion bomb regardless of when you add it to the kettle.  Different people have different thresholds of noticing onions in beer.  I think I have a low threshold for onion and have noticed the onion disappears when I don't use summit later than 20-15.  If you do notice some onion, it should fade away soon enough.     

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 05:30:29 pm »
I brewed a Red X/Mandarina Bavaria SMaSH lager that is still conditioning. My first impressions were "meh" - it seemed like mainly noble hops, with a touch of citrus. With a name like that, I was expecting Summit (hold the onions).

I've been finding that a lot of the new German hops just aren't living up to their billing compared to the expectations based on the newer US and NZ varieties. Based on the name, I don't think I'll be playing with Hüll Melon, but I'm still curious about Hallertau Blanc.

My only experience with Hallertau Blanc is from drinking Firestone Walker Opal recently.  Their website says they dry hopped with Blanc.  The kettle hops were Styrian Goldings and Amarillo.  The beer is a saison with no caramel.

The aroma was mild, but the white grape was there.  It also had white grape in the flavor.  I generally don't get much flavor from a dry hop.  Maybe they used some Blanc at flameout and didn't say so on their website or maybe Blanc adds some flavor from a dry hop. 

Either way, the white grape note in the flavor and aroma was more pleasing to me than Nelson Sauvin and there wasn't a hint of cat pee.  I want to try Blanc based on drinking Opal.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 06:47:17 pm »
Either way, the white grape note in the flavor and aroma was more pleasing to me than Nelson Sauvin and there wasn't a hint of cat pee.  I want to try Blanc based on drinking Opal.

Sounds interesting.  I actually love Nelson in Saison but I've been wanting to try Hallertau Blanc, among others.  The grape character (like in Nelson) sounds great for saison. I'm sure overall the Blanc is a milder hop (being a Hallertau varietal) as compared to the assertive Nelson.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:56 pm »

Sounds interesting.  I actually love Nelson in Saison but I've been wanting to try Hallertau Blanc, among others.  The grape character (like in Nelson) sounds great for saison. I'm sure overall the Blanc is a milder hop (being a Hallertau varietal) as compared to the assertive Nelson.

I like Nelson too, but got burnt a few times before I figured out how to use it.  It can produce some major cat pee with late kettle hopping and dry dropping.  According to science, the cat pee aroma is most easily noticed by females.

I have zero cats, but spent my formative years cleaning out a kitty litter box for my parents.  As far as animal toilet scents go, I much prefer the horse poop aroma of a lambic.   

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:21 am »
If you get onion/garlic from summit, ferment it a bit cooler like the lower 60's. I use it in my IPA never heard about anyone tasting onion/garlic from it. Our second best selling beer. You can smell a bit of it when you stick you face in a just opened 11# box.