Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crystal Sweetness  (Read 2171 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Crystal Sweetness
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
Here is something I don't understand but am confident ya'll can bring me up to speed.  How does Crystal Malt make a beer sweet to the taste?

The problem I'm having is understanding that unfermentable starches don't taste sweet, but maltose does.  However, maltose is fermentable, and therefore wouldn't be in the finished beer to make it taste sweet.

What am I missing?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Crystal Sweetness
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:57 pm »
I have wondered this myself. The sugars in crystal malt are not uncoverted starch. They essentially went through a mash in whole kernal form before being dried and kilned. There is a perception that sugars from crystal malt are unfermentable across the board but I suspect (and have read accounts that support my suspicions) that it is somewhat fermentable. However the stewing temps used in making the crystal malt are quiet high (>160) which makes it pretty high in dextrins which taste somewhat sweet but are unfermentable by normal brewers yeast. I also suspect that when a person tastes caramel flavors their brain automatically kicks on the 'sweet' message even if there is not a lot of actual sweetness there.

I've often thought about 'mashing say 2 lb of crystal malt in a gallon of water and fermenting it to see what happens.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »
I've often thought about 'mashing say 2 lb of crystal malt in a gallon of water and fermenting it to see what happens.

that would be cool if nothing else than to isolate the flavor you get from it.  I'm never really 100% sure what is contributed from the caramel malts and what is just interaction of the other ingredients.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:29:31 pm »
Not sure this really answers the question, but Breiss wrote a lengthy article about crystal and caramel malts on the blog in March. Interesting info on how it's produced and flavor.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/is-it-crystal-or-caramel-malt/

And apparently there is a different between crystal and caramel. Crystal malt is completely converted (it looks like a glassy sugar crystal inside). Caramel malt goes through a similar process, but conversion isn't complete, so it's still somewhat starchy.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:10:07 pm »
Great article!  Thanks.  If I read it right, the issue is carmelization.  I think I was assuming that caramel malts were that in name only based on the resulting flavor.  But the article says the sugars are actually carmelized, Which means a sugar combined to another sugar.  With that bit of info, I can easily see how it becomes non-fermentable and sweet.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:12:06 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:36 pm »
One caramel malt that doesn't have as much sweetness as other malts of the same color is Weyerman CaraRed.  Don't know if it's a Crystal or Caramel malt.  Life was easier when I thought they were synonymous. 

It has more aroma than the same color Breiss caramel malt and less sweetness.  I like CaraRed a lot.               

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »
One caramel malt that doesn't have as much sweetness as other malts of the same color is Weyerman CaraRed.  Don't know if it's a Crystal or Caramel malt.  Life was easier when I thought they were synonymous. 

It has more aroma than the same color Breiss caramel malt and less sweetness.  I like CaraRed a lot.             

I like it a lot as a steeping grain for when I'm doing a "quick" extract IPA. Adds some rich maltiness & complexity without sweetness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 02:04:05 pm »
From what I have noticed, Breiss 20-40 caramel tastes the most caramely and provides the most sweetness.  British 20-40 caramel tastes and smells more like toffee with less sweetness than Breiss.  Weyerman 20-40 caramel is the least sweet and most malty and aromatic of the bunch.  YMMV.