Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Judging at NHC  (Read 4588 times)

S. cerevisiae

Judging at NHC
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »
Is anyone planning to judge at NHC? Are the flights at NHC usually huge? 

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Judging at NHC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:57:38 pm »
flights at NHC finals are fairly unique in being fairly evenly sized.  We're talking 12 regions, top 3, minus perhaps someone who didn't ship, some 3rd place 1st round entrant who didn't manage 30, and adding a couple of administrative advance entries.

previously we've had 3 teams for the last few NHC finals.  makes for just over 10 beers each.
Months ago it was discussed that we needed 4 teams if we were going to grow the Finals.  I hope this happened; 38/4 is going to be fun.  38/3 makes for a long morning, especially for whomever is judging with Beertracker.

(haha, take it easy Jeff!  I've got nothing but love for ya!)

cheers--
--Michael

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:59:17 am »
I'll be there. I last judged the Final round in 2012 in Seattle. I think I had a flight of 10 beers for the first round and 11-12 for the second round.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:50 am »
How are beers grouped in the finals? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:10:57 am »
Beers are judged by category using queued judging, which means each set of judges in a category takes whatever is next on the list when they are done with an entry.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Queued_Judging_quickref.pdf

I'll be there judging.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:52:22 am »
Even in the finals?  I figured that many categories would be grouped into a flight.

I volunteered to judge.  However, I am still in "rank pending" purgatory.  I heard from a senior judge at the last contest I judged that there is a sizable backlog of exams that needed to be graded.  At the rate that I have been accumulating judging points, I will have close to enough experience points to obtain the rank of certified by the time that I receive my results, that is, if I manage to score high enough to obtain that rank.  I will be happy if I do not go from being in "rank pending" purgatory to being in "apprentice" hell.   :)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »
Yes. The finals (and most large competitions) use queued judging.

This 'backlog of exams' is nothing new. When I took my exam in 2011, I just barely received my score back by Nationals the following year. I was also Certified by then (Recognized and Certified name tags came in the same envelope), so they let me judge. If anything, the turn around time is shorter now than it was a few years ago.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:48:49 pm »
The last time I judged you had to be National or above.  Has that changed?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »
I've judged alongside certified at the final round.
They use the queued judging format so each table will do all of one style.  In the past that's usually 9 - 12 beers per team of judges, depending on their speed. 
I didn't sign up to judge this year because I've been having sinus issues.  I feel a little guilty, but it's better for the entrants.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
I believe last year it was 3 judges per group and at least 1 (if not more) were national.  The other two guys I judged with were certified.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »
I'm planning on judging but only the morning session.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 03:17:10 pm »
Even in the finals?  I figured that many categories would be grouped into a flight.
Are you talking about Best of Show? That is done Best of Show style - all beers in front of each judge at the same time.

I judged last year as Rank Pending Judge. I had taken the exam the day before. That was a last minute decision on their part though, I was originally on the stewarding list.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:47:35 pm »
I have judged 2nd round 4 out of the last 5 years.  It has always been queued judging.  We also used queued judging in Seattle for the first round the last few years too.  It definitely helps speed things up.  You essentially have a steward for the entire table.  He pulls the first beer (normally in lightest->heaviest order) and hands it to the first pair, then as a pair finishes their beer, they get the next one from the steward.  Faster pairs end up doing more beers.  Slower pairs do fewer beers.  The whole table finishes at about the same time, so it's right on to Mini-BOS.

Chatter I've been hearing is that they have more ranked judges this year than slots, so they will give priority to higher ranked judges first.  In all honesty, if you are provisional or rank pending, chances are you will not get a slot, as they will fill with highest ranks first.  The place is swimming with BJCP judges, and I suspect there will even be some Recognized judges who won't get to judge.

That said, you can volunteer to steward.  It's a valuable learning experience, and frankly you get to sample more beers, and listen to what all those experienced judges are saying about the beers (without having to taste the less than stellar ones -- yes, I've seen teens and low 20's in the second round - things happen).  It's not often you get as many National, Master, and Grand Master judges in the same place, so listening to what they say (and tasting the leftover beers as you take the bottles away) is in some ways more fertile ground for learning.  Remember, you'll get out of it what you put into it.   The old adage about "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade" holds true here.  Folks can either b**** because they don't get to judge, or they can turn it into something valuable.  You might even get to steward for someone like Gordon Strong, Phil Farrell, Al Boyce, or Ted Hausotter.  I guarantee you'll pick up some nugget of info from them.

I really wish I could go this year, but my daughter's graduation is a bit higher priority for me this year.  See you in San Diego in 2015, though-

Steve

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 04:54:03 pm »
The way to ensure you have a judging seat at the table for the final round of the NHC is to be National or higher. I think this will be my seventh time judging in the final round in 9 years. I think anybody could get a seat at the judging table in Orlando, contrast that to this year where I have heard every seat will be filled with a high ranking judge.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
The last time I judged you had to be National or above.  Has that changed?

I believe Seattle was strapped for judges due to some people not being able to get tickets to NHC. I also had my tutor, GM2 and BJCP West Rep, send a recommendation to the judge coordinator.

This year I'll be checking in as National, unless my graders are super awesome at getting our exams back and I get a 90+... ;)
Amanda Burkemper