Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Judging at NHC  (Read 4622 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Judging at NHC
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 07:11:27 pm »
That said, you can volunteer to steward.  It's a valuable learning experience, and frankly you get to sample more beers, and listen to what all those experienced judges are saying about the beers (without having to taste the less than stellar ones -- yes, I've seen teens and low 20's in the second round - things happen). 

If I am going to work another contest this year, I want to gain additional judging experience and receive judging points.  I have already worked three contests since March, one which I worked as a steward.  I had not planned to work at NHC.  I only volunteered to judge because Janis sent out a request for volunteers.

Sensory evaluation is the not the difficult part of judging for me.  The difficult part for me is writing what I sense succinctly enough to fit into the space given on the score sheet without getting too technical or taking too much time. Only practice under the pressure of judging at a competition will improve that skill.  Scoring a beer at competition is a completely different experience than scoring a beer at home or in a pub. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 06:34:54 am »
There is a lot to be learned from stewarding a table comprised of three or more high ranking judges. You can sit at the table at home and fill out a score sheet by yourself, or you can watch three people do it who have been doing it for quite some time and might find something to help you along. Most likely the stewards for the NHC final round will be BJCP judges with an interest in potentially discovering something new.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 07:44:10 am »
There is a lot to be learned from stewarding a table comprised of three or more high ranking judges. You can sit at the table at home and fill out a score sheet by yourself, or you can watch three people do it who have been doing it for quite some time and might find something to help you along. Most likely the stewards for the NHC final round will be BJCP judges with an interest in potentially discovering something new.

My thoughts exactly, Mike. If you haven't volunteered on the National level, do it. You won't be disappointed. I mean, unless you pull the likes of Susan Ruud & Al Boyce for your local comps, you'll likely be blown away by the amount of knowledge some of these judges have.

For example, I was at the Smoke/Wood table in 2012 with Randy Scorby (2011 Homebrewer of the Year for a Rauchbier). I picked his brain about all things rauchbier and when I got home I used his advice to brew the best rauchbier I've ever had. BOOM!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 08:20:08 am »
I signed up for my first time in the second round. I'm just Certified, and will see if I get pulled for judging.

I remember my last sheets from the second round had a Certified, a National, and a Master on the panel.

Completions would not work well without stewards. One can learn about the process,  and also get to meet and talk to some darned good judges.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:25:02 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:33 am »
It sounds like they're trying to do all of the beers in the morning - like they did last year. That means they'll need close to 300 judges. If that's the case and they want 3 judges per flight I bet there's a good chance. Last year I judged with a National and Master judge, so even though I was pending there were still two national or higher judges on the flight.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
I was hoping to be National for the 2nd round here... I have never judged the 2nd round before so I figured I would sign up to judge this year in the morning.  My written exam was odd and I think it has not even been started to be graded yet :-/
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
I'll be judging the morning session. Not sure what category but I'm thrilled to be judging the final round for the 4th year in a row!  8)
Ron Price

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »
Judging confirmation emails went out today, so that should answer some of your guys' questions.

See you all there!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:09 pm »
Did anyone who was assigned as a judge not receive an e-mail on Friday?  Janis sent out another request for volunteers today, so I went to the site to check if I completed my registration.  To my surprise, I discovered that I have been assigned as a judge.   

I am assuming that the AHA will be providing score sheet labels.  Can anyone verify that my assumption is correct?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
Last year they did not, but it might depend on the local organizer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
I think I would bring labels.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:28 pm »
I figured out why I did not receive a confirmation e-mail message.  The problem was clearly between my keyboard and my chair.  :)   I missed a letter in my e-mail address, so the message must have been returned as non-deliverable. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »
I have a few labels left over from a previous competition.  However, it looks like I am going to have to pick up a pack of blank 5160 or 8160 labels on my way home from work tomorrow.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 05:53:59 am »
I have a few labels left over from a previous competition.  However, it looks like I am going to have to pick up a pack of blank 5160 or 8160 labels on my way home from work tomorrow.
Yeah def a good idea... It varies per competition you judge at... Most now usually have the labels but sometimes they either don't or they plan on having the labels but then they can't get them to print day of etc... Writing out that info is tedious for sure.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 05:55:29 am »
haven't received my judge category via e-mail, so I logged in and noted I was assigned to Light Lager.

anyway, just in case anyone else is still waiting for their assignment, you might try that.

cheers--
--Michael