Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 NHC broadcast???  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: 2014 NHC broadcast???
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »
I should have been more clear. Who WON Ninkasi?

Never mind, I looked it up. Interesting that Ninkasi went to some with only one beer medal.
Really!? I missed that. Must have had only one entry or something.
Wait, there was at least one person with two medals that I remember.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »
From AHA site, looks like he had a 1st place specialty beer and a 3rd place mead
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:36:12 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »
Jeremy is from my club! He had three entries in final round. Great brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
I'll bet he is. That's quite an honor too. Good for him

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »
No love for me either. Next year. Cheers to all the winners!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 07:03:26 pm »
From AHA site, looks like he had a 1st place specialty beer and a 3rd place mead
There were others with a first and a third. There are tie breakers like number of first round that move on, etc.

From the competition Rules and Regulations.

5.The Ninkasi Award will be given to the entrant who accumulates the most points in the Final Round of this competition. To be eligible for the award, entrants must have at least one entry place in the 23 beer categories. Six points are awarded for a first place, four points for a second place and two points for a third place. Individual members of a group of brewers earn points as a group and do not earn points on an individual basis. There will only be one Ninkasi Award winner. In the event of a tie for the most points in the Final Round, the following tie-breaker criteria will apply.
 a.The number of medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most medals will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
b.The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
c.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest entries in the Final Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
d.Points will be calculated for tying brewers’ entries that placed in the First Round of the NHC based on the same scale as used in the Final Round. The brewer with the most points in the First Round will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
e.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the most entries placing in the First Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
f.The total number of entries registered for the First Round of the competition will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest registered entries will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
g.The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 08:39:50 am »
Actually, there were 3 people with 2 medals in the final round:

Jeremey Voeltz (Gold in SHV and Bronze in Other Mead) - Ninkasi winner

Karl King (Bronze in Bock and Bronze in Strong Ale)

Jeff Carlson (Gold in Specialty Cider and Bronze in Standard Cider): Note that Jeff would not be eligible for Ninkasi per the rules because he did not medal in a beer category.

So, it really came down to one having a Gold/bronze versus a bronze/bronze. But, congrats to these three for medaling twice. It's so difficult to do that with the 4 entry limit.

Cheers!
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:54 am »

Jeff Carlson (Gold in Specialty Cider and Bronze in Standard Cider): Note that Jeff would not be eligible for Ninkasi per the rules because he did not medal in a beer category.

So, it really came down to one having a Gold/bronze versus a bronze/bronze. But, congrats to these three for medaling twice. It's so difficult to do that with the 4 entry limit.

Cheers!

basically correct, though obviously King was not second in case anyone interprets your post that way.  It's still about points before number of medals, so it came down to Voeltz and then a 22-way tie among other Beer Gold medalists.

Put me down in the column for 23-way tie among beer gold medalists = not a meaningful award.  We were THAT close... 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:45 am »

Cheers!

Jeff only entered cider. I don't think he was after a Ninkasi. A fifth Cider Maker of the year was probably his goal.

Jeff makes some really good beer though. The commemorative beer from Founders was his recipe, and he brewed it with his friends at the brewery.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:57 am »

Put me down in the column for 23-way tie among beer gold medalists = not a meaningful award.  We were THAT close...
Yeah, it's not the award it once was. I would like to see past medalists able to enter far more beers than everyone else so they could really compete for Ninkasi. If the gold/silver/bronze medalists from each of 23 beer categories could enter 15 beers each next year - that's 1035 reserved for them (MAX, most won't use them all). They can compete for Ninkasi and that leaves plenty of slots (~8,000) for everyone else.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:49 am »

Its not that though - remember Jeremy's medal in mead counts as do all of his first place placings. So he started with a big lead if he managed to get 3 entries into the second round.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 11:14:51 am »
Yes, I wasn't trying to imply there was a second place, but just listing those that got multiple medals in response to a previous post. The way I read the rules, points in first round don't matter until you get later down the tie beaker list. It's the number of final round points first and foremost. So, Jeremy would have 8, every other gold medalist would have 6, and the guy with two bronzes would have 4, just like every other silver medalist.

With the low entry limits, I wonder how they could re-work Ninkasi? Include first and second round points in the overall totals? That being said, another with multiple medals in the final round is still very impressive with only a 4 entry limit.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
AHA Governing Committee

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:43 am »

Its not that though - remember Jeremy's medal in mead counts as do all of his first place placings. So he started with a big lead if he managed to get 3 entries into the second round.

you lost me, Drew.
Jeremy has 8 Final Round points.
22 other beer medalists have 6.

One bronze medal separated us from going to the tiebreakers.  And not a tiebreaker among 2 or 3 brewers, but every single beer gold medal.   If that's not close I don't know what is.

I went through the First Round results.  Didn't see anyone's name 4 times.  Saw like 30+ with 3.  None with 3 First Round Blue Ribbons (except some without any beer ribbons).  I had 16 First Round points, and a few others did too.  If it comes to that, I repeat:  I do not find it to be a meaningful award.

Big lead?  I don't see it.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 11:54:55 am »
Yeah sadly I went 0/3 this year.  Hopefully I can muster up some medal(s) next year. 

I did have 2 golds and a bronze in the first round this year at least.  Hopefully some people got to drink some of my medal beers during club night.  I had my Xmas beer (1st) on with CRAFT and my Tripel (3rd) on with Sons of Liberty (though I had it slated for the social well after Club Night in the lobby.)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"