Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Colonna Corker  (Read 1853 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Colonna Corker
« on: June 08, 2014, 06:59:23 pm »
I recently made the move to a Colonna Capper/Corker so that I could Cork Belgians. I was able to cork my beers with the help of a video online for the Colonna from some Wine/Brew shop, however I didn't get specifics on how to cork so that I get enough of the cork still above the bottle lip so that my cages fit properly. Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to properly cork so that I am doing it closer to what you would expect? 

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
Re: Colonna Corker
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:04:06 am »
This is a good article on how to use it for belgian bottles: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1886-corking-belgians.

Make a small mark with a sharpie to indicate which base slot works best on a typical 750.  They can and do vary in height so check your bottles beforehand.

The most important part of all is to keep from breaking the flexible channel/funnel when you are retrieving your newly-corked bottle.  As mentioned in the article, remove the base, hold the bottle neck and lip with one hand and apply the full range of the plunger to push the cork the rest of the way out.  Use the hand holding the bottle to reinforce the plastic channel, keeping it from flexing as the cork slides the rest of the way through.

I have found though, without something to fit between the plunger and the top of the cork, it is very tough to free the corked bottle.  I use an inch-long piece of wooden dowel for this.  As soon as the cork's been driven into the bottle and the base plate is removed, rest the dowel on the top of the cork while holding the bottle & supporting the surrounding channel.  Swing the plunger and out pops bottle.  Easier than it might sound.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »
Thanks I maybe do some practicing with this to try to get the right height, I have a mix of 750s, and Vinnie's

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »
Thanks I maybe do some practicing with this to try to get the right height, I have a mix of 750s, and Vinnie's

Yeah, I love those Russian River bottles.  I made a tic mark for the correct base height for those mini-belgians as well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:46:17 am »
I thought it was common to put a drilled stopper on the plunger so it could only go in partially and leave some of the cork above the lip of the bottle?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
I thought it was common to put a drilled stopper on the plunger so it could only go in partially and leave some of the cork above the lip of the bottle?

With this apparatus, being able to change the floor height via a metal base plate that slots in securely is what enables the correct amount of protruding cork.  Picking the right slot for the height of your bottle is key.