Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommended accessories for the novice kegger?  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Recommended accessories for the novice kegger?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 12:41:57 pm »
Amanda - Sucks you got injured. I was actually thinking the risks last night. I wonder if using a stainless disconnect would be safer. Those things are $30-40.

There is still no regulator, which is the real issue with those little guys. The tiny regulators are wicked expensive, somewhere on the order of $120. I believe the 16 gram cartridges are around 130psi, which is high enough to make you bleed for 3 days (pro-tip!).

I need to find mine and secure it from child height.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 01:09:07 pm »
Thanks for the tips! Things like manifolds will have to wait until I have a dedicated chest freezer/kegerator. Right now my fermentation chamber will be doing double duty as keg fridge, so kegs will probably be going in and out when I need the space for fermenting lagers.

I just took advantage of the free shipping at Midwest, as well as the gift certificate from their discontinued points program, and ordered a bunch of stuff. Got a bunch of threaded disconnects, a few more picnic tap faucets, 30 feet of 3/4" tubing, BLC, keg lube and a dip tube brush.

Now I just need to find the closest place to fill my CO2 tank, and I'm in business.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »
If you are in or near a metropolitan area, filling a tank should be a piece of cake. I like airgas personally

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:19 pm »
If you are in or near a metropolitan area, filling a tank should be a piece of cake. I like airgas personally

+1
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »
If you are going to be racking to serving kegs under pressure, there is some good info Dean Palmer's site:

http://www.thebeerjournals.com/Racking.html
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »
If you are going to be racking to serving kegs under pressure, there is some good info Dean Palmer's site:

Thanks for the link! Seeing that I generally brew 1/2 batches I was thinking that a 5-gallon corny keg would make for a great primary fermenter. This way I could brew my lagers under pressure, too.

Man, I don't even have beer in my kegs yet, but the money sink keeps opening wider. Could be worse things to spend my money on, I guess. At least it's not meth...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »
If you like gadgets check out home brew finds (just google it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 09:00:00 am »

Thanks for the link! Seeing that I generally brew 1/2 batches I was thinking that a 5-gallon corny keg would make for a great primary fermenter. This way I could brew my lagers under pressure, too.

Man, I don't even have beer in my kegs yet, but the money sink keeps opening wider. Could be worse things to spend my money on, I guess. At least it's not meth...
are you SURE it isnt meth?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:58 am »

Yes, kegs definitely do make great fermenters for smaller batches. I brew 4 gallon batches in 5 gallon low profile kegs and rack to serving keg under pressure. I love it. I just bent the dip tubes up a couple inches off the bottom so I wouldn't pull all the yeast out of there I might want to harvest. This way, I don't have to worry about hops clogging up the flow.
The thing I'd worry about with racking 2.5 gallons to a 2.5 gallon keg, is maybe having a little more than you thought you had and over filling the serving keg.
I really like doing it this way because I can close the lid with my starsan in the keg and tip the keg upside down to make sure the lid is sealed before racking beer into it.
You won't regret it, dude!
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:57 am »
The thing I'd worry about with racking 2.5 gallons to a 2.5 gallon keg, is maybe having a little more than you thought you had and over filling the serving keg.

Run off a liter or so into a plastic soda bottle with a carb cap.  Shake it to carb, throw it in the freezer and enjoy in 30 minutes.  For quality control sampling purposes, of course.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
That's a good idea.
Jesse

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 11:18:01 am »
I'm thinking at least 1-2 more picnic tap setups, but after that I'm not sure.

I'd keep a handful of picnic taps on hand if you're going to use them.  Those things can grow mold inside them and once that happens, you pretty much want to toss them.

After I use them I run water through/sanitize/rinse again and then hang it to air dry without the liquid QD at that end, and the faucet end thumb lever held in the "open" position with a rubber band.  No mold if it is dried out.