Author Topic: Triple  (Read 1910 times)

Offline poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Triple
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
My taste buds say keep the wheat when using the Chimay yeast (1214). Not sure you need the aromatic but YMMV. My buds also tell me that when using the Westmalle yeast, keep it simple. Pils, sugar and maybe a touch of Munich or Aromatic...
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Triple
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
1214 makes a very nice tripel. I use this yeast as one of my house strains (it makes a fantastic Belgian wheat). But I would strongly urge against letting the temp rise too much too fast. It will explode with banana if you do.

I use this yeast a lot and recommend starting it off at 64 and holding for about 2 days of strong, vigorous fermentation. Then let it mostly finish out at 68. You can go as high as 72 near the very end.

This strAin is a monster, I've accidentally crashed it before on a tripel in mid fermentation down to 41 degrees. Took several days to raise back up into low 70s but ended up with over 90% aa. It's also a pita to get the yeast to drop out.

Recipe looks fine. Personally I go about 85% pils and 15% cane sugar and mash at 148 for 90 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:38:22 AM by majorvices »
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
I think the Unibroue strain is still available from Wyeast. Its a badass yeast. If you don't have a strain you use often and are comfortable with, try it!

That is a great yeast; I wish they would make it available year round.

+ a bazillion. It's one of my favorite strains. It's quite versatile and has a really nice flavor profile. Unfortunately, it was only available until March this time around. I have a pack stashed away in my fridge for late this summer or fall. I'm planning on brewing a Quad IPA, but I also want to see if it plays nice with my house sour culture.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »
I kinda assumed Simplicity would be like adding table sugar.  I was pleased to find out I was wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you just admitted you were wrong about beer once.   :D

I've admitted it many times because I've been wrong many times.  IMO, that's the key too learning.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
I kinda assumed Simplicity would be like adding table sugar.  I was pleased to find out I was wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you just admitted you were wrong about beer once.   :D

I've admitted it many times because I've been wrong many times.  IMO, that's the key too to learning.

;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »

I've admitted it many times because I've been wrong many times.  IMO, that's the key too to learning.

;)

See?  Wrong again!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
You aren't wrong about using a toilet braid in the mash tun.  Nothing works better for a batch sparge.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
You aren't wrong about using a toilet braid in the mash tun.  Nothing works better for a batch sparge.

Yeah, once in a while I hit a home run!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »

I think the Unibroue strain is still available from Wyeast. Its a badass yeast. If you don't have a strain you use often and are comfortable with, try it!

That is a great yeast; I wish they would make it available year round.

+ a bazillion. It's one of my favorite strains. It's quite versatile and has a really nice flavor profile. Unfortunately, it was only available until March this time around. I have a pack stashed away in my fridge for late this summer or fall. I'm planning on brewing a Quad IPA, but I also want to see if it plays nice with my house sour culture.

I'm sure we could get someone to bank it!

I plan on pleading for year-round status to the Wyeast folk at NHC.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
But I would strongly urge against letting the temp rise too much too fast. It will explode with banana if you do.

That's no joke !  My first beer with 1214 was a banana bomb. I think I fermented it at ~ 68. I like the first 48 hrs @ 64F too.
Jon H.

Offline nicosan1

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
Looks good, I didn't use wheat, I used a bit of munich in a tripel I made, like the hops, maybe Styrian Goldings too.  I think you should use Wyeast 3787, two packs and a starter but it was a very vigorous ferment so think of a blowoff.  Lastly, if you add sugar, you could wait to add after 3-4 days of fermentation, that method seemed to work fine for me to not throw off fusel alcohols, though some folks have said if you use a pound or less, the boil is fine.  Good luck! 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »
Looks good, I didn't use wheat, I used a bit of munich in a tripel I made, like the hops, maybe Styrian Goldings too.  I think you should use Wyeast 3787, two packs and a starter but it was a very vigorous ferment so think of a blowoff.  Lastly, if you add sugar, you could wait to add after 3-4 days of fermentation, that method seemed to work fine for me to not throw off fusel alcohols, though some folks have said if you use a pound or less, the boil is fine.  Good luck!

I've used in excess of a couple lb. in the kettle with no problems.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline nicosan1

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
This is good to know Denny, I think summer going to brew a quad this winter with some dark candi, will just do with boil instead of that addition.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
I've pitched 1214 in the low 60's and let it rise on its own into the low 70's before without experiencing banana issues, but I decided to be a little more conservative this time.  I pitched at 62, held it at 68 for two days, and then let it rise to 73.  It's fermenting like mad.

We'll see what happens.

I'll email Wyeast about the 3864.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »
Dragging this back up to see how they turned out. Brewing the westmalle clone tonight, 12 pounds pils with 3 pounds sugar, trappist high gravity slurry from a Belgian pale I made last week.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan