Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer After Three Days - Bell's Oberon Review  (Read 2817 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
Beer After Three Days - Bell's Oberon Review
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:43:07 am »
I came out of institutionalization today to a drizzly mid day. I have to be honest, it was exactly how I felt. Things have been depressing and quite frankly, crappy all around. But I was struck with a realization that pierced my brain and instantly cheered me up. I had been on a three day hiatus from drinking because of the medical study I was about to partake in. I’m no alcoholic, I just enjoy drinking. LOL. Anyway, I knew tonight I was going to get an opportunity to have a nice tasty brew again. I decided what better way to celebrate the 20th episode, than with a well deserved, tasty brew from Bell’s. So today, I review Bell’s Oberon.

Video Review of Bell’s Oberon Ale

Packaging

You can’t miss this one! Bright blue and orange. I spotted this puppy a mile away in its brand new display at the beer store. Oberon just became available in my area and I’m very happy to see it. For those that don’t know, in the graphic design world blue and orange is a trendy combination right now and this is a prime example. I’m from the Sublime generation and this design talks right to me. Beyond that, the design insinuates this beer to be a great summer drink. Which makes sense, its the summer seasonal.

Appearance

Golden to deep straw colored. My head wasn’t all that great, but the lacing is nice. A bit cloudy if you can’t stop the pour in time before the yeast begin to come out.

Smell

I get a pinch of citrus, yeast, malt and wheat. I don’t get a lot of hops. It does seem to have a very balanced smell. A little bit of everything that makes up the beer.

Taste

Bell's OberonIt is pleasant. What I like most about this beer is it really feels like a hybrid of a pale ale, which I love and a wheat beer, such as a hefeweizen. I enjoy a good hefe but can never seem to make a night out of them. They get a little to fruity and spicy for me. The mixture here is really good, providing a nice citrus hop character and sweet malty character as it washes over my tongue, but making it a bit more complex with the hop bitterness and wheat and fruitiness from the yeast. I absolutely appreciate the up front sweetness with a bit of a dry finish.

Mouthfeel

Surprisingly crisp with a decent amount of carbonation. It hangs on the tongue a little bit as it absorbs into your tiny little taste buds.

Drinkability

For a summer ale, it’s spot on. I think the hop character of the Saaz hops that are used within this brew make it a complex combination of a wheat beer, pale ale with a touch of Pilsner character, all of which combine to make an enjoyable summer session brew. I could eat this with hot dogs or fish and it would compliment it perfectly.

Overall

You gotta try it if you have not. I don’t think its a conversion beer for macro peeps, but it could definitely surprise a macro drinker with its complexity and drinkablilty. Very good in my opinion.

How bout you?

What do you think? Good or no good? Have you made a session of it? Let me know!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Beer After Three Days - Bell's Oberon Review
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »
Oberon is probably the only beer from Bells that I don't like and I don't like the style.   :(  Give me a two-hearted anyday ;D
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:20:04 am »
Yeah, I have to agree. Had it again last night for the second time and I just don't really care for it much. Strange to say as well, but I am not sure I understand what is going on flavor wise. Certainly not a bad beer, but just not something I look for. Love most of their other offering though.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:53 am »
Yeah, I have to agree. Had it again last night for the second time and I just don't really care for it much. Strange to say as well, but I am not sure I understand what is going on flavor wise. Certainly not a bad beer, but just not something I look for. Love most of their other offering though.
Oberon is as much about the end of winter as anything else, even though it comes out April 1 while it's still winter round these parts :D Lots of bars in Chicago have release parties as a sign of spring.
I enjoy it on a hot, humid afternoon, but I usually have one and move on to other things.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:40:52 pm »
Sorry for randomly bringing a thread back from the dead, but I just tried this for the first time and thought I'd chime in. I just had a great Father's Day dinner at the Weber Grill restaurant. There are a lot of great beers available here that I can't get back home. Bell's in particular.

When I read the description of Oberon as a hoppy wheat beer I knew I had to try it. I was expecting a wheat IPA, but what I got was a hefe minus the banana and clove. Still a decent beer, but not at all what I was hoping for. It does get me thinking about how to pull off a good wheat IPA, since I could envision what it could be with proper hoppage.

Two-Hearted, on the other hand, is a damn good beer. I'm totally jealous of everyone who can drink this as their "everyday" beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
Sorry for randomly bringing a thread back from the dead, but I just tried this for the first time and thought I'd chime in. I just had a great Father's Day dinner at the Weber Grill restaurant. There are a lot of great beers available here that I can't get back home. Bell's in particular.

When I read the description of Oberon as a hoppy wheat beer I knew I had to try it. I was expecting a wheat IPA, but what I got was a hefe minus the banana and clove. Still a decent beer, but not at all what I was hoping for. It does get me thinking about how to pull off a good wheat IPA, since I could envision what it could be with proper hoppage.

Two-Hearted, on the other hand, is a damn good beer. I'm totally jealous of everyone who can drink this as their "everyday" beer.

Try to find Three Floyds Gumballhead while you're here (well, there, I'm in Seattle  right now). Maybe not IPA level hopping, but more than Oberon. It's a very good beer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:48:37 am »
I'm a big Bell's fan but Oberon isn't my favorite of theirs. I think it's ok but pretty overrated. Love many of their other offerings.  +1 to 3Floyds Gumballhead as a hoppy wheat (and a good beer).
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:56 am »
Had a pint in the Michigan airport when my flight was delayed. It was the only thing they had on draft besides bud light.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:45 am »

Yeah it's really only a hoppy american wheat beer by older standards... Same stuff gets said when people have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... It used to be really hoppy by people's standards but now I often hear "it's not hoppy enough".  I can get down on some Oberon for sure... but I'm not a huge fan the of american wheat beer style overall.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"