Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coleman redesigned the Xtreme coolers  (Read 1573 times)

Offline jskiles

• 1st Kit
Coleman redesigned the Xtreme coolers
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:26 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the newer Coleman Xtreme coolers?   They look pretty much the same but when I looked inside one, the spigot looked a little higher up in relation to the channel than in the version we're all used to.  The walls also seemd a bit thinner.  I was wondering if anyone's converted one of these new models and how it's performing for you.  Here's what the new one looks like: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/23795246

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Coleman redesigned the Xtreme coolers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »
I have that model. I do not like it as much as the old style, but it gets the job done. The new models do not have the nice deep channel that fit a bazooka tube perfectly. The channel is still there, higher off of the bottom and not as deep. I have to tip it to get as much out of it as possible.

Denny's method may end up with less dead space.

The old style is still around if you care to hunt for it and pay a bit more. I have seen them at REI as recently as 3 months ago.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Coleman redesigned the Xtreme coolers
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
This is the model I purchased. I have not yet assembled my braid in it or yet used it. I knew from Walmart.com that there were 2 different models, but bought this one as it was available in store where i could look at it. It really doesnt look to be that much different than the Coleman 50 I have been using as far as channel depth. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work just as well also. I will post back my thoughts after I use it for the first time later this month or next month
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

Coleman redesigned the Xtreme coolers
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:47:12 am »
I bought this one and modified it with a valve and bazooka tube http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-36-Quart-Extreeme-Cooler/19268482.  I've brewed one batch with it so far and lost 1 degree over the one hour mash.  I am very pleased with it. Especially since I only have 1/2 cup of dead space!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:16:53 pm by BrewBama »